Questions: Reformatting HD and reinstalling OS

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeff Jacobson, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I have an old computer that is acting strangely, so I will soon be reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows. I have some questions.

First, I have the discs for both Windows 98 (first edition) and Windows ME. Which should I install? I've read that Windows 98 Second Edition is better than ME, but is Windows 98 first edition also better than ME?

I believe this computer has an AMD K6-2 300 MHz processor, and according to the System Properties has 192 MB of RAM. Am I correct in thinking that this is not up to the task of running Windows XP?

Second, I have a 111GB Hard Drive. How should I partition it? (I remember reading somewhere that it would be better to have multiple partitions instead of just one 111 GB partition. But I don't remember why it was better or how big the partitions should be.)

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

not sure if i'm just babbling, but here goes.

doesn't windows 98 (fe) update to windows 98 (se) with the service packs? in any case, i'd definitely go with win98. from what i've heard, me just had too many problems. you should figure considering how quickly microsoft dropped it.

192 ram is probably *not* enough to run xp with any sort of gusto. i have 512 on my p4 and feel i could use more oomph.

you should generally partition into at least two chunks. one to hold your os and program files, the other for your data. that way, if you have to reinstall the os, you won't lose all your data.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm going to have to say to go with ME, as 98 is no longer supported by MS, and you'd be stuck. There is another thread here on this.

Glenn

4. Jeff Jacobson

I read that thread. Someone has posted there that ". . .Win98 Support has been extended to 2006." I also heard the same thing on the news last night.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Oops! Then on that, I'd stick with 98, and add the SE in. One on one, SE is better as long as you don't try anything new out on it.

Glenn

6. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

jeff,

what will be the purpose of this computer?

7. Jeff Jacobson

This is my family's computer, used mostly just for word processing and e-mail.

I've reformatted and reinstalled windows now.