Questions re: Waterworld extended scenes...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Aug 14, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I read that in one of the extended scenes they show how they get the cigarettes. Can anyone tell me how?

ps-We were having a debate in the office about the premise. How much land would be covered by water if all of the ice packs melted?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

In the extended version it turns out that "dry land" is actually the Himalayas. Mt. Everest if memory serves

3. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I remember seeing the extended cut when it was shown on ABC, but I wasn't really wasn't paying full attention because I was studying/reading most the time. I don't remember the cigarettes part, but there was an exteneded part where Kevin Costner had a CD player.

To answer your question about what would happen if all the ice melted; between 200 and 300 feet are the best estimates. (which would be about what was seen in A.I.)

4. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    well arent the polar ice areas above water and some on top of land that cant be seen because of the ice.
    so if it melted it would disperse over the rest of the world more evenly causing other parts of the worl;d to be covered by water.

6. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Tony,

I'm no expert on the subject...that's for sure but I think the north and south poles are completely ice.

7. Jeff Kleist

yes, but Antarctica does have landmass as well. But it is a large percentage ice

8. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

9. Jeff Kleist

From HowStuffworks.com
    The main ice covered landmass is Antarctica at the South Pole, with about 90 percent of the world's ice (and 70 percent of its fresh water). Antarctica is covered with ice an average of 2,133 meters (7,000 feet) thick. If all of the Antarctic ice melted, sea levels around the world would rise about 61 meters (200 feet). But the average temperature in Antarctica is -37°C, so the ice there is in no danger of melting. In fact in most parts of the continent it never gets above freezing.
    They go on to say that if the North pole ice melted it wouldn't do that much
    Link to a more official report
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed....://www.ipcc.ch