What's new

Questions RE: New Toshiba 46H83 (1 Viewer)

Pete Walker

Agent
Hey all...

I have just purchased my very first component that I would consider home theater, a Toshiba 46H83. Along with it, I got a Sony DVPNS425P DVD player. I have had it a few days now, and tried the component (or is it composite, the RGB?) and I think the picture quality is great. I'm sure they aren't the best cables, as I'm using the ones that came with the Xbox HD pack. I have ordered the DVE disc, and just waiting for it to come in. Professional calibration is out of the question at this point in time. I have a few questions (for now).

1. Would I really see a difference using better quality RGB cables? If so, what brand(s) do you recommend? I would like to not spend a ton on them.

2. I am watching the widescreen version of Finding Nemo, and have noticed a "glow" of sorts, around the characters. It's more prominent in the brighter characters, such as Dory and Marlin. What is this, and how can I correct it?

3. Perhaps this goes along with question 2, but what settings should I have on the TV and the DVD player to get the best possible picture quality? I've setup the DVD player to 16:9, and I have the progressive scan on, currently.

Guys, I would really appreciate any and all input. As I am new to this, please forgive my ignorance. Thank you so much!

Steve*W

Agent
Try a movie that you "know" what the colours are supposed to look like. I seem to remember the glow being there when I saw it(on a 27"tube), but cant remember for sure.

As far as cables I'm not sure what you consider a ton of $, but I use the Monster Video 3 series they were a huge improvment over the dental floss that came in the box with my DVD.

Pete Walker

Agent
How much did you pay for those cables?

I say a glow, but maybe its more like a halo? I really don't know, but it just doesn't seem right. I'm sure there's an adjustment to be made, but I don't know which one. I think DVE is coming tomorrow (that's what the tracking said, at least) so perhaps I'll stumble over the problem. If so, I'll post it up.

Craig

Second Unit
Component connections are marked red-green-blue, but they're not a RGB computer type connection. Toshiba sometimes refers to component connections as Colorstream. Composite connection cables will have a yellow video cable and red & white audio cables, these shouldn't be used on the component connections.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I find very little difference to no difference with video cables that cost $30 and those that cost $150 ...

Just get something better built than the stuff in the box.

regards

Chris_Colgan

Auditioning
Look for Canare Component Cables

They are the best for a low price under $70 for 6ft

If you need a contact, PM me.

What are your currently brightness/Contract/Sharpness/Picture Temp/Mode (Cool/Med/Warm)(Standard/Movie/Custom)

Have you SVM enabled or disabled?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Would I really see a difference using better quality RGB cables?
Maybe...maybe not, but since you've asked the question, you are always going to wonder, so you might as well buy SOMETHING better than what you have. My advice is simply to spend just enough to stop you from asking this question!

Pete Walker

Agent
Craig: Yes, I understand that much. I didn't confuse the two.

Chris: Here are my settings

Brightness: 60
Contrast: 40
Sharpness: 50
Picture Temp: Medium
Mode: Preference

I went through the THX calibration on Finding Nemo, and I am 99% sure I got the contrast/brightness correct for it.

Also, Flesh Tone is on, and I don't know what SVM is, nor could I find it in the menu. Would you mind giving me some assistance there? Also, thanks for the advice on the cables. I don't need 6 feet, only 3, so I'll look for prices on a shorter cable.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm just wondering if getting better cables will fix this issue, but I'm still thinking it's a setting that I have to adjust. Any more advice would be great.

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like you are on the right track. You definitely want to get a good set of cables for your component inputs, and should be able to do that within the $70 price-point mentioned. Monsters, AR Home Theater cables, etc.
I use Bettercables 'cheaper' Serpents but not sure how much better for the bucks.
You may want to consider a professional ISF calibration after the set has 'burned-in' after several more weeks. Right now you have the pumpkin pie, that will be the whipped cream! :)

Chris_Colgan

Auditioning
It looks like your Sharpness is a little high and your contract and brightness.

Video Essentials/AVIA is the ideal calibration DVD, the THX Optimode are done different from DVD to DVD.

Maybe the VSM is called
DFine™ High Speed VSM you should be able to disable this in the Menu. It will give you more picture detail.

I know the 30H83 and the 34HF83 have this above feature.

Make sure ALS is disabled. This will change your brightness/contrast depending on ambient light

Look into getting Michael TLV and Gregg Loewen to ISF'ing your set

Pete Walker

Agent
I know the last two posts mentioned ISF calibration, but as I already said in my original post, that is out of the question at this time. The price makes it cost-prohibitive.

Dfine is not an option in my menu, but ALS is, and it has always been disabled.

I'm just waiting on receiving the DVE, which is the only thing I can do at this point. Thanks again for all the insight here.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The '83s do not have a user adjustable SVM setting, although the 'X83s (Cinema Series) do.

SVM is disabled in 'Movie' mode or for any 'Preference' settings you make that started out in Movie mode. So, put the set in Movie mode, then re-input your settings and 'Save Preference'.

Cary_H

Second Unit
From my own experience, I wouldn't be all that concerned until you have at least a couple of hundred hours on your set. I swear my own PQ continues to improve as it passes the 18 month mark. (50H81)
As mentioned already, get your sharpness way down. I always ran mine way up there before I was set straight. For DVDs I run around the 20ish mark, tops.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I wouldn't go lower than about 40 on the Sharpness control. Toshiba's sharpness doesn't work like many other brands and going too low will make the image very soft.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks