1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions re: my new Sony SAWM40 sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimColeman, Nov 13, 2001.

1. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Hi all, just bought this sub last week and have a few questions.
    1. Did some mods; added spiked feet and filled with polyfill. Regarding the polyfill, was I just supposed to loosely stuff it into the speaker housing or really pack it tight? I would say that it is about 3/4 filled currently. I did notice some sound improvement but wonder if I should use more polyfill.
    2. I have the sub set to auto shut-off and as I understand the sub will power off if there is no LFE input in a 7 minute time period. My problem is when watching TV (not DD 5.1) it seems to turn itself off and on every few minutes. Is it ok to just leave the sub on all the time or will it overheat or something?
    Thanks for the help!
    Jim

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

welcome to the HTF Jim!
    I don't think you want to pack it too tightly with polyfil, so there is room for air movement.
    I have a JBL sub with pretty much the same type of standby mode, and when I'm done watching a movie or whatever I completely shut off my sub.
    No I do not think your sub will overheat, however the instructions should say something like "When not using the sub for an extended period of time turn the power completely off". If you use it daily it probably would be okay to leave in auto/standby mode. If you go a few days in between use I would shut it down.
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

3. ChristianW

ChristianW Stunt Coordinator

I also have an SAW-M40.
    I have placed a layer of sound deadening material about 3 inches thick along the bottom, the back wall and the side walls. I didn't put any along the top so there is no risk of it coming loose and resting on the back of the speaker possibly fouling the cone movement, as unlikely as that may be.
    I don't think you should use too much as you simply end up taking away internal volume instead of simulating a larger space as the polyfill is supposed to do.
    I have had my sub for about 4 months, and it has been turned on the whole time, I found that the auto-on/off would not switch the sub on when waching TV even though there was definately bass to be reproduced.

4. Joseph W

Joseph W Auditioning

Pronto to the rescue! I to disliked the click on and click off of the Sony Sub while I was watching the movie. Apparently when the Sub did not detect low base for a while it would turn off. Nice except you can hear it click off/on. I purchased an appliance X-10 module from Smarthome.com and have it controlled by my Pronto so that when the pronto turns on the TV so does the Sub.
    Christian W: What is the sound deadening material you layered into your sub? I would like to try something but have not been adventuresome so far. Any problems getting the case off the sub?

5. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Re: Questions re: my new Sony SAWM40 sub
    posted on November 13, 2001 05:50 PM CST (US)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the response everyone. ChristianW, you stated...
    "I don't think you should use too much as you simply end up taking away internal volume instead of simulating a larger space as the polyfill is supposed to do."
    Let me ask a stupid question. How does filling the volume of the speaker cabinet with polyfill help simulate a larger space? It just doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for your help!

6. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Thanks for the link....It really helped clear up my question.

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Guys.... are you talking about taking this sub apart and stuffing the box with fiberfill and tacking something like dynamat onto the inside walls of the cabinet?
    If so, how are you taking the cabinet apart and still ensuring airtightness when you re-build it?
    I just bought one of these for my kid's playroom HT but have not yet removed it from the box, since it's gonna be a Christmas present.
    Thanks for the info on this!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

8. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

9. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Another suggestion on dealing with the sub auto on/off, (if you're not using X10 in your house) is to plug the sub in to the outlets on the back of your receiver - if it has them. So the sub turns on whenever you turn on your reciever. Then you can flip the auto on/off setting on the sub OFF so that the sub stays on all the time when it has power - which would only be when you're using it.
    That's what I did with my SAWM40 and I've had no problems in 11 months of usage.
    Rob
    ------------------
    My Equipment

10. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

Bad idea rob. The outlets in the back of a reciver are NOT ment to handle the kind of power that an amplifier, of any sort, draws. They are ment for litle things like CD players, and DVD players, and EQs.
    Maybe your just lucky that it has not messed up your reciver yet, I have head that its a very bad idea, and it would seem to be that way to me from what I understand of things.

11. Kyle-K

Kyle-K Stunt Coordinator

Just Curious about the stuffing of the box (as I plan on picking up a SAWM40 in the distant future...
    Do you just stuff it in the box loose? or do you need to tack it to the insides of the enclosure?
    --kyle

12. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Good question Kyle. It wasn't clear to me so I just loosely stuffed it about 3/4 full. Well guys, is it stuff or tack/glue? And what about that "port hole thingy" at the bottom of the sub? I've read that I should plug that for "tighter" sound. Is that true? If so, plug it with polyfill?

13. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

14. ChristianW

Guys,
    I have placed my filler inside the cabinet loosely. As I said in my first post, I didn't put any along the top. And definately do not place any where it can obstruct the port.
    When you're pulling out the driver be very careful with the screwdriver, not to accidently put a hole in the rubber surround, or cone. That would be bad!
    Rob Dawn & Vietor: The back panel of the sub should tell you the maximum watts that the sub should be pulling, and the outlet on the back of the rcvr should say how much it can give. If these are suitable, then shouldn't it be OK to use this method?
    I must admit I have done this with an old SONY SA-W10 sub that I have (it's now attached to my PC through a Yamaha DPL rcvr), and it worked OK for a long time.

15. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

The SA-WM40 says it draws 90 Watts, my TX-DS595 says not to exceede 120 watts, so yeah it should technicaly be fine, but what has me thinking is this.
    Its not a steady 90 watts, so your gonna be jerking around with the power flow through your reciver. I guess the crux of the matter is how it is wired in the reciver, with respect to eh recivers power supply. If it is a strait bypass from the power in, to the jacks on the reciver, with only a switch to power on/off then I guess it is probably all right. It just seems to me that it could tent to currupt the flow of clean power to the reciver power supply. Though I guess probably not much more then being plugged into the same plugbar, or circut.
    I dunno, it just seems wrong to be pulling any sort of signifigent power through a piece of electronics outside of what it itself if trying to draw. I however am not an EE major, so what do I know right?
    It just seems that one would not want to put any more strain on a part then one has to, and something like an amp seems like it would be ideal for strain in that it can be pretty power hungry at times. Though I guess if its only rated to draw 75% of what the reciver says it is able to supply then things should not be a problem.

16. ChristianW

I should mention that I plug my SAW-M40 into the wall and not my STR-DB940 rcvr as I did with my old sub and Yamaha rcvr.
    It seems like it would be OK, I just didn't think it would be right. The SAW-M40 has 3 times the max wattage draw than the old Sony. Basically, I think you can, but I wouldn't.
    Of course, Rob has been doing it for 11 months without a problem so it can't be all bad.
    Jim: Some speakers (not subs, that I know of) come with inserts for their ports which can adjust the sound. So... I would just give it a go and see what you like better. I wouldn't use polyfill though. You should use something that can seal the port as airtight as you can get it.
    If i'm not mistaken (If I am, please correct me) with the port the sub would have more extension and less distortion, plus better power handling within it's frequency range, although sealed enclosures usually have better transient response or 'tightness', so it dependes what characteristics you want from your sub.

17. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, well we're all clear on where to plug the sub in, but I had a question about exactly how much polyfill to put in the box.
    Seems like a simple enough mod as long as you concentrate on things, but I just want to know how much of the stuff to buy.
    Thanks guys

18. ChristianW

Concentrate on things eh... no worries [​IMG]
    Just check out the link Jack posted earlier, it's quite helpful, and Tom knows his stuff.

19. JimColeman

JimColeman Agent

Chris: I used "ACOUSTA-STUF POLYFILL 1 LB. BAG" from Parts Express. It filled my Sony sub about 3/4 of the way. I also added spiked feet and the sub sounds much better.