Questions RE: MLB Extra Innings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Pfeiffer, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

OK, so the cable company has the MLB Extra Innings free preview going this week, and I'm considering getting it. I know that last time they did a free preview some games were blacked out. For example, the Pittsburgh Pirates game was blacked out, which doesn't really make any sense since I'm centrally located between Cleveland and Cincinnati. Pittsburgh is at least a three hour drive from hear. I think they were playing a west coast team, so the opponent shouldn't be a factor.

My main question is if anyone knows what qualifies games for blackout. If Reds games are going to be blacked out (even if they're not on a local channel/Fox Sports Net) because I'm considered to live too close, my interest wanes severely.

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I think it depends on if some channel has bought the rights to show Pirates games in your (your cable provider's) area. I know that the M's games on MLB Extra are alwasy blacked out because Fox Sports NW and KIRO-TV have bought the rights in Seattle, whether they want to show the game or not.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I always thought ticket sales were a factor as well. If you live within the team's market, and the team isn't filling the seats at the stadium because the local fans are staying home to watch the game on TV, it would be blacked out in the local market since they need to sell tickets and get the butts in the stadium seats to make money.

I know for football, they look for a total sellout before lifting the blackout. I'm not sure what the threshold is for baseball.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The blackout unless sellout rule is strictly NFL.

There is talk of making a law (I'm not sure if this is Federal or just in the state of Washington) saying that you cannot blackout games in publically funded stadiums.

The way things are going, local Seattle Seahawk games will never be shown in Washington (including playoff games, however unlikely) because the games never sell out anymore. We just funded (with Paul Allen's "help") a huge new football stadium for the 'Hawks, and except for some obstructed view seats, the "cheap" seats are $70. The next tier of seats are $250 (this is according to the info I got in the mail from the Seahawks themselves). I was hoping to go to a game this year to check out the new stadium, but $70 minumum? I'll stick to the Mariners and Husky Football.

5. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Ticket sales shouldn't be a factor. Cincinnati and Cleveland are both about two hours drives from here (which is outside of any NFL blackouts, FWIW). Pittsburgh is even farther.

6. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

I have MLB Extra Innings with DirecTV and get the occasional blackout for some games for no apparent reason. Like the other night the Yankees/Orioles game was blacked out in my area. I live in Raleigh NC. Why the heck a game being played in Baltimore, Maryland would be blacked out in Raleigh NC I do not know. I called DirecTV and the CSR said that they have no control over when and why certain games are blacked out. She said that it has something to do with who has the rights to the broadcast. Which still leaves me wondering why the Yanks/O's game was blacked out in my area. Don't have a clue. Overall not many games are blacked out in my area. But the way I see it if I pay $130 for a package of games I should get all the games, especially since I live in a state without a major league team.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have never heard of this "blackout" thing. I was considering getting the MLB Extra Innings just to watch the Diamondbacks games, does this mean that most likely those home games will be blacked out?

They certainly don't advertise that...

/Mike

8. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

If I game is blacked out check the other team's network.

I have Extra Innings with the Sports Pak on DirectTV living in Baltimore. The Pirates - Cubs game was blacked out on Fox Sports Pittsburgh. However, if I turned to Fox Sports Chicago, I could watch the game. Were you trying to watch the game on the Extra Innings Channel? If so, I am not sure why the blackout, in fact on the EI channel I could watch the Orioles - Red Sox game.

Todd

9. Dennis

Dennis Second Unit

I think the following link can answer some of the questions posted. It includes an Extra Innings schedule thru June. I've included the blackout information for convenience.
    http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...ra_innings.jsp
    From the Major League Baseball Official Site.
    Blackout Info
    All local and national blackout restrictions still apply. In other words, subscribers within a club's Home Television Territory cannot get that clubs' games in this national package. In addition, due to the national exclusivity of both ESPN and FOX, there are no games available for distribution via this package on Saturday day, Sunday night, and Wednesday night. Please see the below for further information.
    Local blackout information
    If you live in a zip code that is within a Major League Baseball team's territory, that team's games will be blacked out from the MLB EXTRA INNINGS game package, but will generally be available as part of your local regional sports, cable or over-the-air affiliate station. Blackouts protect the local rightsholders who arrange separate distribution agreements for their exclusive territories.
    ESPN blackout information
    a. ESPN SUNDAY NIGHTS
    ESPN has an exclusive national broadcast window for all Major League Baseball games on Sunday nights, therefore, no telecast can be made available for DBS distribution. As they have rights to night games only, any games which start after 5:00 PM ET (2:00 PM PT) cannot be distributed out-of-market.
    b. ESPN WEDNESDAY NIGHTS
    ESPN has an exclusive national broadcast window for all Major League Baseball games that begin after 5:00 PM ET (2:00 PM PT) on every Wednesday through the regular season. This means that regional telecasts cannot be distributed out-of-market. The only games available on Wednesday nights will be on ESPN, ESPN2, and on your local RSN.
    FOX Network Blackout Information
    Beginning Saturday, June 1st, 2002, and continuing for the remaining Saturdays in the regular season, the FOX Television Network has the exclusive national rights to broadcast Saturday games up until 7:00 PM ET (4:00 PM PT). So, while you will not receive Major League Baseball games on your MLB EXTRA INNINGS channels any Saturday morning or afternoon, you will receive the available Saturday night games that begin after 7:00 PM ET (4:00 PM PT). For Saturday morning and afternoon games, check out the FOX Network local listings.