What's new

Questions re: DVD Audio (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I'm thinking of buying a new DVD player, and am considering DVD Audio. I have a Marantz HT receiver with 7 channel imputs (I'm assuming this is how DVD Audio is hooked up)? I've heard this is due to copyright concerns? Are DVD Audio players capable of ouputting 7 channels, or only 5 or 6? When playing a DVD Video disk, do you then use the digital connection? And finally is it worth it? When I play DVD Audio disks through my present player, it sounds pretty dood in 5.1. I can't imagine how much better it could get. I would appreciate any feedback from those who know. As you can tell I'm pretty much in the dark.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
DVD-A is at most a 6 channel medium. This would be 5.1 for most surround recordings, although there do exist some 5.0, 4.0 and 6.0 discs.

Regards,

Doug Smith

Second Unit
So I was right in guessing how the connection is made? through the 7 channel inputs at the back of the receiver? I've heard this is because of copyright issues?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I've heard this is due to copyright concerns?

This is not due to copyright (legal) concerns, but rather to the record companies' desire to impose restrictions that go beyond the rather generous ones (SCMS copy protection, and recorder + media taxes) that Congress mandated in the AHRA.

The AHRA set up a framework for all consumer digital audio recorders - not just DAT ones. The framework is just as applicable to DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD as it was to DAT, DCC, MiniDisc, and CD-RW.

DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD impose restrictions that go beyond the ones that were a part of the AHRA "deal" and that interfere with lawful Fair Use (such as making custom compilations, making MP3s for your own personal use on a computer or portable stereo, etc.).

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
This goes along a tangent I would like to explore: Right now there are six analog channels out of DVDA and SACD players. A person MUST have a (new) six channel input preamp or receiver to get DVDA or SACD.

Is there a possibility that someone, someday will produce a box that recombines those with A/D converter into an optical output for a feed into older model preamps/receievers? Or is there some legislation prohibiting that?

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
The only upcoming digital 'proprietary' connection for DVD-A is from the Denon 9000 to the 5803. Combined cost is very high. I doubt that there will be anything available that will act as the A/D converter that you describe due to the record companies.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Meridian already sells DVD-A players that provide digital outputs. Unfortunately, they only work with Meridian's pre/processors. Similarly, Sharp sells a SACD player with a digital DSD output that works with Sharp's digital amplifier. There are a couple of other companies that do the same. If you have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford them :frowning: (typical prices are more than $10,000)
There are rumors that MSB will modify players to produce 3 stereo PCM outputs for somewhat more reasonable prices.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Regarding the possibility of a device to convert 6 channels of analog out of a DVD-Audio or SACD player to Dolby Digital, I predict this will never happen, but not for legal reasons. Rather, the reasons I can think of are:

1. Very rapidly diminishing market, as new receivers have the inputs. And, even before diminishing, very small to begin with.

2. Drop in quality, as I don't think the compresion in Dolby Digital can match SACD and DVD-Audio quality.

3. Difficulty of doing the encoding in real time. (Guessing here... not my area of engineering.)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
A box that converted 6 analog signals into one discrete digital one would almost certainly be legal, even under the DMCA.

However, if you wanted to use the digital inputs on an existing receiver that wasn't designed with SACD / DVD-A word sizes and sampling frequencies in mind, you'd need to take the hit of a downconversion from uncompressed SACD / DVD-A to compressed Dolby Digital 5.1, to CD-grade PCM stereo, or to DVD-Video-grade PCM stereo.

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it was unrealistic. My high-end processor is only a year old so it hurts to think of upgrading already. I suppose by the time the format war is over I will be able to save enough to upgrade. By then Dubya's son will be President.:b

Thanks anyway. I guess that eliminates any interest in getting a player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks