What's new

Questions re: bass management with H/K AVR320 with DVD-A / SACD + Why 24/192 DACs? (1 Viewer)

Alex.D

Agent
I'm curious about how an AVR320 does bass management for analog inputs internally - whether it's an analog crossover, or whether the signal goes back into the digital domain.

If it's analog, I can definitely see that using a high-quality source, such as SACD or DVD-A makes sense even with bookshelf speakers that require bass management. We filter frequencies below 100hz or 80hz, send that to the speakers, and send the ".1" input + bass from other channels to the sub.

If it's digital, then things become really silly really quickly. What's the resolution / sampling rate of the AVR320's ADC's then? If it's below 24/192, is there a point to using high-rez signals from the DVD-Audio player?

The situation is even worse with SACD. Assuming no bass management on the behalf of the player, we get DSD -> analog -> PCM -> analog. If my understanding of DSD's advantages is correct, the point of SACD is that you have insane temporal resolution (.00000036 seconds for SACD vs. .000005 for 192khz DVD-A, or fifteen-fold improvement). Then, by applying digital bass management, you lose this advantage entirely!

CD's sound just dandy on the receiver using digital output on a DVD player, and via analog using my old(er) CD player.

However, I am looking to buy a DVD player with one of the high-rez format support, and I'm curious as to the signal degradation that comes from using these multiple A/D and D/A conversions. If, given my current setup (changing receivers is not much of an option, given the low price I paid for the AVR320, which basically sparked me getting into the whole Home Theater thing), I have to use bass management of analog inputs, I don't think there is a point in having high-rez formats given the state of consumer-level equipment (aside from multichannel advantages, but they are already afforded by DTS CD's).

Is there a DVD-A player that can have its 24/96 and 24/192 outputs "unlocked" for digital output? That's the only application I can think of for those 24/192 DACs in the receiver.

This brings me to my second question - Why ARE There 24/192 DACs in the receiver? Since the highest-rez format most DVD players can put out digitally is 24/48, there's no point in having DACs more powerful than that. What device can put out a 24/96 or a 24/192 stream?

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Most DVD players can output 24/96 digitally. Trouble is, only a few discs have it, from a few audiophile labels.

But you are correct, if you do bass management on the analog inputs you will be adding another A/D D/A stage.

Steve

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I guess the 320 doesn't have a stereo direct (bypass) mode. I know the new HK x25 models seem to have this as an option, bypassing all digital processing.

Alex.D

Agent
So then, if bass management requires A/D - D/A conversion, is the quality improvement still worth it over running a coax in from a CD or DVD transport?

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Why ARE There 24/192 DACs in the receiver?
Two reasons:
1) Marketing
2) Many DAC maufacturers are making all their DACs 192KHz capable for use in DVD-A players. Even though the reciever can't utilize it, it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks