Questions on the little DLS 10

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I am thinking of getting a new sub. I don't want to spend much money. I am thinking of going with the DLS 10. Does anyone have any numbers of low frequency stuff. I have been following the now 8 page dls thread, but would like to see if anyone can give me some spl numbers from the 20-30Hz range. I don't expect them to be much but I'd like to know what it has down low.

Thanks for the help

Nick L

2. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I attempted tocalibrate my DLS 10 with the trusty Radio Shack SPL meter and Stryke Audio cd. This was nearly a year ago, so I don't remember a lot of details. I'm looking at a couple of graphs I made. I don't even know if I did this right.

I used the pink noise to set the volume at a certain level, but I don't remember what it was, but whn I got it to a point whaere the 36 to 80 hz bands were roughly as loud as the 1000 hz. (actually 1024), about 84 db, I got these readings:

25 hz - 68 db
    28 hz - 74 db
    32 hz - 80 db
    36 hz - 82 db
    40 hz - 82 db
    45 hz - 80 db
    50 hz - 82 db
    56 hz - 82 db
    63 hz - 82 db
    80 hz - 78 db

On any frequncies below 25 hz, eveything was dead quiet, but waddya want for $100 plus shipping. Please note that I did not try to plot fractions of a db.

Ihave the sub in the left front corner of my basement, which is fairly open. I sat about 12 feet away from the sub with the meter. I rarely play anything very loud, so I can't say I've ever felt any deep bass, but I know that my main speakers, Polk Audio Monitor 7s are not spec'ed to play much below 42 hz. I have the sub connected to the sub output o my receiver with the receiver's crossover set a 80 hz.. The crossoveron teh sub is turned all the way up.

Although Ihave not noticed a radical differece since adding this sub and have never heard any better subs, I imagine that the DLS would be a fine addtion to smaler speakers.

Hope this helps.

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

That chart you listed is realisticly speaking "flat", I am surprised it is that good. I have read its -3db point was 28hz looks like your numbers bear that out. . .

4. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

That is ridiculously good response for a mere $100 (even if room gain is helping out a bit). Absolute best commercial budget sub?

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Jack:

As Guy mentioned, your graph looks excellent, most would kill to have theirs look that good.

Nick:

Brian B. an I both run the tuning on the DLS-10 sub and it comes in right around 29 to 30 hz. Jacks graph seems to help confirm this.

Obviously Jacks numbers are NOT max spl freq readings for his room, but
    Steve nn~ in the monster DLS thread showed some rather impressive spl in his med to large leaky room on (movie material). In it's "useable" frequency range, he was able to achive 106 db on some movie material. Very impressive at it's 99.00 price point. This was on deeper bass material probley in lower 30's given the movie clips he took them at.

When my friend John gets his replacement driver, I will be doing some more in depth testing on this sub for some hard numbers. I finally got to see it and was shocked at what you get for your money. Nice looking & built little sub.
    Excluding the Woofer with 5 holes in it, which obviously it did not come this way. Long story, don't ask.

It is safe to say, that at it's dollar point, well worth the money and an excellent entry level sub.

2-Performance kings in the entry level ~{Small Sized}~ sub range now, the PE~DLS-10 and the Sony-40. There are certainly better subs, much better, but like Jack makes note of, look at the price tag.
    Allot of sub for min dollars!

Steve had both in house and prefered the DLS-10 to the Sony-40, both subs bone stock no mods. He runs dual Velo 15's so has a pretty good idea of what quailty bass should sound like.

95% of movie/music bass information this little guy will play for you. You want that last 5%, it's gona cost a little more than 100.00 bucks...

Everyone thats bought and posted about their DLS seems to be very pleased.

Regards
    Geoff

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

If I was to summarize the DLS, I would have to say that the DLS is a "Mighty Little Sub". Where have I herd that before?[​IMG]

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hey Steve, you've got a PM or 2! [​IMG]

8. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I'm expecting the stryke test disk this weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to come up with some numbers also...did you hear that Geoff, Steve, Brian, Jack, all you sub gurus- I may come a calling for help on this.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jose...Jose who?! Never heard of him! [​IMG]

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Jose, who....[​IMG]
    LMAO

11. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

[​IMG] This is a great place [​IMG]
    My wife thinks I'm nuts because I talk to what she calls "my imaginary friends." Wait till I tell her they're cracking jokes.
    ...And now I understand LMAO[​IMG]

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

We here you Jose and we are watching you very close. Any one who gives you a hard time will be sleeping with the fishes.[​IMG]