What's new

Questions on subwoofer selection (1 Viewer)

Randy Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my setup: HT/Fam.Room approx.12' x 15' x 7.5'. Equipment- Tosh. 65HX81, JBL S36 x 4, JBL SCenter, Sherwood Newcastle R-945. I am pretty restricted regarding Sub Placement, currently my sub (a BIC 8", not too hard to improve on!) is near the front corner, along the side wall about 4' from the front. The only other possible placement would be in the back corner of the room.

My questions are, is a sealed sub any less sensitive to room placement than a vented sub? Given my situation and a budget not to exceed $400.00, what would be my best bet? This should only be evaluated for HT, as music comprises less than 5% of my use. Help me start the selection process!

BTW, size not a MAJOR issue - can't be TOO big (WAF).:b

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure as to the advantages of sealed vs. ported w/ room placement, but for the $400, you won't be able to beat a DIY sub. Either a sonosub or traditional would blow away anything you could find in your price range. For drivers, look at the Adire Shiva, Tempest, and the Madisound Swan 305. I'm currently working on a traditional mdf enclosure w/ a swan 305 driver , a 150watt PE plate amp and 4-5/16" adjustable port . W/ the box tuned to 21 hz, the roll off point will be 24hz. Try to find a sub for under $400 that can do that!

My project is most likely going to come in at under $200 finished ($15 mdf w/ plenty left over, $58 driver, $79 amp, $5.50 port, $3.60 carpet spikes, $4 black marble vinyl laminate, total $165.10 + shipping).

If you're comfortable building things and have access to a table saw and a router, DIY is really the way to go for a great performance/price ratio.

You might be able to find a used SVS, but it seams that everyone likes them so much that no one is selling them.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
No difference between ported and sealed with reguards to room placement.

In that price range I totally agree with the DIY comment mentioned above.

Commercially. Adire Rava, Hsu VTF2 (little bit over budget), maybe you'll get lucky and catch a B-Stock SVS 25-31PCi.

Randy Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Know of anyone who would build one for me that would still give me a superior product for the money? I am pretty good with woodworking, but my time is at a premium. Thks. I'll also consider the recommendations on the SVS, Adire, etc.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well Link Removed and Link Removed will both build you subs of this type. But after you add in their labor costs it will take you past your $400 price point. They just can't build the Rava as cheap as Adire can. Now if you are looking at getting them to build you a Tempest, Maelstrom or Tumult based sub then it becomes a very different story.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
You can get a Hsu VTF-2 for $449 delivered. They are great for both movies and music!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have seen some Velodyne ct-cht used 15s out there in your price range. This sub will do a incredible job for you in the HT application.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks