Questions on Sony xbr vs hs 36" hdtv's vs Toshiba vs Panasonic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

I am looking to buy one of the 36" direct view hdtv's from one of the three brands.

q1. The xbr has adjustable drc and a video amplifier which the hs500 does not have. What exactly does adjustable drc do and what does the video amplifier do?

q2. Do the 36" Panasonic and Toshiba direct view hdtv models from this year have adjustable drc and a video amplifier?

q3. Are their any known issues with any of these models that is of great concern (horrible geometry, etc..)?

q4. I noticed the Toshiba has no dvi. What is dvi?

q5. Will a 480i signal from the xbox dvd fed through the component input on the tv look just as good as through a non hdtv? (wierd question, but I know cable signals can tend to look crappy on some of the hdtv sets so I was wondering if the xbox dvd will look ok)

Thanks for dealing with my questions!

2. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

Hi Todd

1. I don't know what the DRC does, but it is probably just a fancy name for some of the features on the set. Adjustable scan modulation and line doubler maybe?

2. Since DRC is a name that Sony just made up, no other set will have "DRC", but may be able to accomplish the same things.

3. Even with the same model set there are diferences in geometry. I don't think Toshiba or Sony have any huge issues, and if they do you can usually correct them in the service menu if you are so inclined.

4. DVI, or digital visual interface, may be of some importance in the future as HD signals start to incorporate copy protection. There's no telling how important it will be to have a DVI interface. Right now it isn't a big deal.

5. XBOX will look great on the Toshiba or Sony. It will probably look better on both than on an analog TV since you can use 480p instead of inerlaced. Signals from a console don't suffer from line noise and interference and compression artifacts like cable does.

David

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Do yourself a favor, get the toshiba, i ahve a 36hfx71 and i love it.

first off Q1 & Q2 i really couldn't tell you

Q3, they all ahve geometry problems, but if you can get some service tis easily fixed (well brouight to a reasonable level) or if you have the service menu codes you can easily do it yourself.

Q4 i dont regret not ahving DVI. sattilite and cable i dont think will ever require DVI, what most likely will happen si HD-DVD will require it though this is just speculation, and HD-DVD is many years away right now, plus there will most likely be set top boxes made to get around that, yes i know the DMCA makes that illegial, but if theya re made and manufactured adn sold outside of the US then there is ntohging wrong with it, bottom line is DVI will only shaft consumers, not stop pirates.

Q5 the toshiba has the ebst picture as far as i can tell, and it is much better thant he sony or Panny on crappy cable signals, i found that a very noticable difference.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Don't hold back, get the XBR. It can't be beat as far as PQ and features go.

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

that truly is a question of preference Jeff, but ultimately you have to go witht he one you like the best. for the price the toshiba cant be beat. but if money is not a problem, get the xbr witht he DVI.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Came down to the toshiba and the Sony for me too. 32HDX82 and the 32HV600. It was a tough choice but after extensive research I decided on the sony due to DVI, auto 16x9 squeeze, and the excellent service menu registers of the sony. I knew I would be tweaking this set out as best I could and I was informed that the service menu on the sony is far better for tweaking than the toshiba. Another factor is that I got it for the same price as the toshiba would have cost me. $1299, that sealed the deal for me.
    To each his own, the Toshiba is awesome as well but lacks a few things I needed to have on my set.

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

well for me the auto squeeze is not an issue, 2 buttons on the remote do it. i never knew anyhting about the service menu, and i dont consider DVI to be an issue. that being said if i could ahve gotten the sony for the same price i would have gotten the sony. but i honestly cannot see a difference in the picture except on crappy cable sources where the toshiba is better.