Questions on Sony VAIO VGX-XL2 Digital Living System?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jason Blaydes, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Jason Blaydes

Jason Blaydes Stunt Coordinator

i just bought the Sony xl2 htpc that comes with a 200 disc mega changer. here's a link to the unit:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...alLivingSystem
    it comes setup with two hard drives setup with raid 0. i don't know much about raid but know that raid 0 spreads the data over all drives and doesn't make a backup of any data. as stated, the unit comes with two drives but it has an additional bay for another drive. on a raid 0 setup, can i add this additional hard drive at any time?... or must i add it before i turn on the unit and set it up? thanks for any help on this.

- Jason

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

What are you using the hard drives for? Is a backup important? If so, try to add two hard drives and do a RAID-5. This gives you speed and redundancy.

As to your question: It really depends on how it's implemented. I'm guessing it's software raid. Often times software raid is more picky about configuration and so it would likely be easiest to set it all up together rather than trying to add a disc later.

RAID-5 allows you to hot-swap drives pretty much anytime you'd like.

3. Jason Blaydes

thanks for the reply. the sony htpc is already pre-configured for raid-0 with the two existings hard drives in it. it has two 160gb 7200rpm hard drives in it. if i want to go ahead and add another hard drive, will i have problems adding one larger than 160gb? as long as it's 7200rpm does anything else matter? thanks for the suggestions and help.

- Jason

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

with RAID-0 the size and speed of the drive really shouldn't matter. It's RAID-1 where size is important.

I would probably make sure that they are the same type of drive (e.g. SATA vs EIDE). It might work to intermingle such drives, but I've never tried to do so in RAID.

5. Jason Blaydes

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

One thing to note: according to Wikipedia your usable volume is limited by the smallest drive. This means that it will be limited to the size of the original drives which I believe is 160GB, so you'll only be using 160GB of your new drive.