What's new

Questions on picture geometry (crt vs projection) (1 Viewer)

Wes T

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All. I am starting to research my options for replacing my TV. Because of the layout of my family room I have had to compromise quite a bit on the height of the TV. (about 5 feet or so). I have gotten used to the TV being so high but there is one very annoying problem with this. The curvature of the CRT causes the geometry of the picture to be bowed downward on the edges. It is most apparent when watching widescreen movies. Of course, when you are standing and have a better line of site to the TV it looks great. I have tilted the TV forward a bit but it is neither safe nor practical to tilt a 32 inch Sony as far forward as it needs to be. This is where I need some advice. Do the Sony Wega TVs with the flat screen suffer from this anamoly? Second question. Since they are coming out with "tabletop" widescreen projection TVs would the picture suffer from "off axis" viewing? My only other options are plasma which cost way too much money, or a projector with a screen which is not entirely out of the question but is not very practical for my only living area. So, I need some suggestions on what I can do. If the picture doesn't bend, that Wega would look awesome in my setup. Pics of my current setup are up on my yahoo photo page. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/westanizer As always, any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Wes T

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Wes, your problem would be solved with any flat screen tube set. But you might get a not so good picture from a RPTV from that angle. RPTV's are made to be watched strait on but will still look good from off to on side or the other. I have laid down on the floor and looked at my 50" Ultravision and the picture pretty much sucks as the colors do distort. Not saying all Rear projection sets will do this but you will want to check it first.
Wes

Wes T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wes. I didn't even think about the color distortion that would occur on a RPTV. The geometry would most likely not distort but again unless I angled it downward toward the viewing area the picture would be degraded. I am pretty much leaning towards a flat screen direct view set. Of course, the one that I would like (40 inch Sony Wega) is way too expensive. I have also noticed that there are a few wide screen direct views out too. I think if I can be patient and wait one more year I would have more options and the prices would be lower too. Patience is not one of my better qualities though, especially when some widescreen movies are barely a foot tall and not rectangular. We shall see. -Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks