What's new

Questions on LiteON 2001 (1 Viewer)

Dan Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah...check your sources. There are numerous comparisons on the web written by owners of both the RP91/1600 vs the 2001...and the 1080i ouput of the 2001 wins pretty much everytime. Do a search.
Hi John,

Can you post some of the web links to comparisons between the RP91 and the LO? I did the following Google searches and came up short:

"rp91" "1080i" "lite-on" = 0 matches
"rp91" "1080i" "lite on" = 0 matches
"rp91" "1080i" "liteon" = 1 match (index page for HTF)
"rp-91" "1080i" "liteon" = 2 matches (neither helpful)

Cheers!
Dan

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
The comparrisons I've read have been within AV forum threads like this one. Since it's not polite to post links to other forums...I'm not going to do that. Just try hunting around for some other *major* av forums and do searches within them.

Also make sure you scan through the various 2001 threads on this forum. I don't recall off the top of my head if there are any rp91/1080i comparrisons here...but there may be.

Dan Clark

Stunt Coordinator
it's not polite to post links to other forums
Is that true...that the adminstrators of this site don't like users posting links to other forums? I can certainly see why postings of referal codes are forbidden, but if another forum has good info, seems posting a link to said forum should be okay. Just kinda surprised. (???)

Besides, you've posted links yourself to AVSForum.

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't say it was against the rules...its just not polite....so I'm not gonna do it.

I just checked...there ARE direct comparrisons in the giant 7 page "Quick Review on the 1080i...." thread.

That's a start.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I have tested my RP91 against the Liteon and found the RP91 much sharper. I think I'm the one Matt was talking about.

Initially I thought the picture looked good on the Liteon with basic comparisons. After some extensive testing with Digital video essentials test patterns and other video material it was evident the RP91 was much sharper. The Liteons picture was just too soft. My HD cable has beautiful output so I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting on the Liteon or what. I'm also using the latest firmware. But anyone with a RP91 and DVE try directly comparing the output of both with the test patterns and post your impressions.

Dan Clark

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't say it was against the rules...its just not polite....so I'm not gonna do it. I just checked...there ARE direct comparrisons in the giant 7 page "Quick Review on the 1080i...." thread.
Sure, I have been following that thread and participating in it. As far as I can tell, Marc Carra has said the LO 1080i is better than RP91's 480p, and BenK has said the exact opposite. So there are two datapoints resulting in a wash.

You said there are numerous comparisons showing the 1080i winning over the RP91 and I just haven't seen other threads to support that. That's why I asked for specific links. I'm not sure who you think would find that impolite? I think the creators of this forum are just as interested in the dissemination of quality home theater information as any of us here, even if it is on another site.

Cheers!
Dan

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have links. I couldn't post them if I wanted to. The comparrisons are out there, and per your email, you're looking in the correct places.

You're doing a "prove it" kind of thing...and I'm not going to try and cater to that. The info is there if you're interested in finding it. Happy reading!

If you've been reading other threads and forums, then you're aware that there *MAY* (stress "MAY") be something wrong with BenK's player. I say that only because Ben states that the 480p output on his player looks clearer than the 1080i output. That just shouldn't be. (*****Not critisizing BenK at all here...I believe 100% what he's seeing*****). The 480p output on the 2001 isn't that great...so if Ben's saying the 1080i is WORSE that the 480p....something is just wrong there. Who knows.

Dan Clark

Stunt Coordinator
If you've been reading other threads and forums, then you're aware that there *MAY* (stress "MAY") be something wrong with BenK's player. I say that only because Ben states that the 480p output on his player looks clearer than the 1080i output. That just shouldn't be. (*****Not critisizing BenK at all here...I believe 100% what he's seeing*****). The 480p output on the 2001 isn't that great...so if Ben's saying the 1080i is WORSE that the 480p....something is just wrong there. Who knows.
I agree with you on this one. When I did a test at my friend's house, the LO's 1080i did yield a better picture than LO's 480p, but not perceptively better than his Panasonic H1000's 480p. The H1000 was a top-of-the-line $2000 early progressive dvd unit, and even today is a very nice unit.

Cheers!
Dan

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
It would be really interesting to see what the guys at Secrets would say about the 2001. I hope they test it out soon. I'd like to see the frequency roll off.

Also...one really odd thing about the 2001 on my system, is I have my Sharpness turned ALL the way up. As in 100%. Even with that setting, I'm getting no ringing or jaggies when I calibrated with DVE.

On my normal PS inputs and with my other players, sharpness has always been in the 30% to 60% range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks