Questions on LiteON 2001

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Doug Fogle, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Doug Fogle

Doug Fogle Stunt Coordinator

Okay.Ive read the whole thread on this and have a few areas I'd like clarified.Started a new thread because of the length of the other.Here goes...1)Will the 2001 upscale to 1080i straight out of the box or does it need the firmware updates to disable macro?The other threads are confusing on this.2)Is there anyway of getting the firmware updates without burning them off the net?I haven't had much luck in the past trying to download firmware updates.Would a disc be available from LiteOn?3)I have an older toshiba that only does the "squeeze" on letterbox material in 1080i.Will using the 2001 upconverted signal allow me to use the "squeeze" on DVDs?As you can probably tell,I know just enough to be dangerous and I'm nervous about altering the player.Please help a relative novice on this-I'm very excited about this player's possibilities,esp.at its pricepoint.Thanks.

2. JohnSterling

JohnSterling Stunt Coordinator

#1: You have to disable the Macrovision in the 'secret' menu to get the player to successfully upconvert to 1080i. Upgrading the firmware has been shown to significantly improve the 1080i picture....but you don't have to upgrade the firmware to get the 1080i to work.

#2: Don't know. I have downloaded to firmware 3 times now and have had no problems myself.

#3:I'm not understanding your question here....won't attempt an answer.

You should not be afraid of 'altering' this player. You're doing nothing out-of-the-norm to it, and both upgrading the firmware and disabling the macrovision take a combined 5 minutes. You can access the 'secret' menu at any time.

Still lovin' my 2001....
    John

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

3) Yes, since the DVD player is outputting a 'standard' 1080i HDTV signal. Your TV will 'see' 1080i and if you've done the squeeze, you'll get the squeeze.

4. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

In regards to #2, I've read (but not seen 100% confirmed) that you can only burn the firmware upgrade using Nero. Is this correct? Currently I use Adaptec for burning CDs. I ask because I am seriously considering this player. Surely someone has this DVD player and does not have Nero?!?

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Even if, I'm sure someone could burn a disc with Nero, then save it in a format compatible with your software.

6. JohnSterling

The download includes files and instructions for creating a non-Nero burned firmware disk. You should be OK. (I've only done the Nero version myself).

7. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I couldn't get the firmware to work using Adaptec software. When I put the burned CD in my Liteon player it would start the update process and then it would shut off the player. The only way I could get a usable update CD was to download a trial version of Nero Burning ROM 6.0. However it took several tries to get the software to install on my computer. I noticed that was a major complaint at CNET with people who tried it. But when I finally got it installed on my computer it was easy making a CD, and the firmware disc worked fine. However I don't think I want to purchase this version of Nero since they want $99 after the free trial.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Are you using half-decent CD-R blanks? It sounds like the player might be seeing a CRC error and rejecting the new code.

9. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I wouldn't think the problem was with the CD-R discs since they work fine when using Nero to burn them.

10. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Brian

I was able to get an OEM copy of Nero 6 Burning ROM Suite for $13.80 shipped from www.savonsoft.com. No problem installing or using Nero with this version. I burned the firmware to a CD-RW.

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I created a cd with the demo nero software but for those having problems here's a zip file of the cd contents.

12. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

Thanks for the link Jay. I may consider purchasing the software for that price. I didn't have any trouble using the Nero software, in fact it was very easy to use, however it did take me two times to get it successfully installed on my computer with the trial version. Also they only give you 10 days to try it free. So I will have to consider purchasing it soon.

13. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Andrew,

does one just unzip those files and burn it with Nero?

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Juan unzip the files to a folder and just burn them to a CD. You don't need Nero if you're using the zip file though as the reason its a zip file is so that anyone with any buring software can use it. If you have nero just go to the liteon web page and download the nr file which nero can read.

15. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Is the upscaling ability of this player and therefore picture quality better than say a Panasonic RP82/Denon 1600?

Kevin

16. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

No way, the RP82 and Denon 1600 have the top-rated picture quality. The Liteon is way below those!

17. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

18. JohnSterling

Yeah...check your sources. There are numerous comparrisons on the web written by owners of both the RP91/1600 vs the 2001...and the 1080i ouput of the 2001 wins pretty much everytime. Do a search. However, if you're comparring the 480p output of the Liteon...then no argument.

19. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

20. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer