Questions on Digital Cable Box Setup..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_s, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

Just had digital cable installed. I figured out most of the settings available to me for the Motorola DCT2000 (att cable box).

I can't figure out the Audio set-up and what it all means here is the options and some questions.

I go to Audio setup

First item is unchangeable and it sets the volume optimal for stereo.

Next is audio output and I have the folllowing selections and I have no idea which one I should use but I am trying to set up my system for optimal use of my Dolby Proligic system (not DPL2 or 5.1)

TV

Stereo

Advanced

The advanced setting gives me some more choices as follows:

Compression and can be set "Heavy", "light", "none". What does this do? The problem I have with this setting is that for "heavy" the volume setting on my receiver is about the same as for my DVD player. If I use "light" or "none" It lowers the sound level such that I have to crank the volume way up on my receiver to get proper voice level. If I switch to a radio station with that volume it would blow me out of the room and possibly blow my speakers. Is this normal for the "light" and "none" compression settings to require such a high volume setting. My amplifier starts to give me background noise when I turn the volume up that high so that is not great either.

The last setting is stereo output with the following choices. Not sure which one to use as best for DPL setup.

Mono (obvious)

Stereo

Matrix stereo (I have this one set)

Thanks ALL

2. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

I finally found a link below that explains the information I needed. Maybe this will be useful to others.
    http://www.otc.fsu.edu/Student/Misc/...de.html#stereo
    I thought the Audio compression was changing the dynamic range of the audio. Many Receivers do this so that you can listen at night and avoid waking the family by eliminating limiting the volume range. It turns out the compression seting in the cable box relates to much information is sent to the reciever so for DPL one wants AUTO VOLUME TO OPTIMAL, ADVANCED, HEAVY COPRESSION, MATRIX STEREO when you have a DPL system as I do.