Questions on Denon 1803 (Newbie post - sort of long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KelvinMc, Jul 18, 2002.

1. KelvinMc

KelvinMc Auditioning

Jul 1, 2002
    First off, I’d like to say that I’m very impress with the amount of knowledge of this board! I’ve been surfing the board for a little while now and I’ve already learned lot.

Now on to the topics at hand. I’m finishing my basement and we’ll have a room (20x12x8) mostly dedicated to HT. I’ve prewired everything I could possible think of:
    16g, 2 conductor, CL3 wire for the right and left surrounds
    16g, 4 conductor, CL3 wire for the future center surrounds
    2 runs of Acoustic Research QS RG6 for multiple/different sub placement(s)
    I’ll also be using Acoustic Research and Leviton QuickPorts wallplates for the speaker and sub connections.

Now that you have an idea of the room and where I want to go, let’s talk about the hardware (keeping in mind that I’d like to stay below $800-900 for the speakers and receiver). I’m pretty sure that I’m going to be going with the JBL NSP1 package, probably with the JBL PB12. I’ve considered many receivers in the $350-550 range and I think I’m going to try and wait for the Denon 1803. I’m going to ask a few questions about it which would really help me make up my mind.
    1.) Does is support DD EX? From what I read and looked at it does, but wanted to double check.
    2.) Does if support component switching? Again from what I read it looks like it does.
    3.) Does it have OSD?

Thanks for reading!
  2. Tim_B

Tim_B Agent

Jan 25, 2001
    Here is the link to a pdf on the new 1803. I too am thinking about waiting for this one.
    It looks like it supports DTS-ES, Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Digital EX, and DTS-ES NEO:6.
    Also it appears as if it does do component switching.