1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions on buying Paradigm Atoms/Titans

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by KevinDB, Apr 29, 2004.

1. KevinDB

KevinDB Auditioning

I've narrowed my seatch for new HT speakers to NHT (either SuperOne XUs or SB2s/SB1s) or Paradigm. Any opinions on NHT vs Paradigm?

I'm looking at either Atoms or Titans for L/C/R and Atoms for the rear.

Any opinions out there on Atoms vs Titans for the Fronts?

Howabout Atoms vs the ADP-170s for the rears - are they worth 2x the price (The dealer I went to didn't carry the ADPs, so I couldn't take a listen)?

I have the wife requirement of "they shall not be black". The Atoms and Titans are available in white, but unfortunately the CC-170 is available only in black, so I'm looking at using either another Titan or Atom for the center channel. This means I need an odd number of speakers - either 3 Titans or 5 Atoms.

The shop I listened to them in will only sell them in pairs, which leaves me with an extra speaker.

Looking around, I haven't found any online dealers selling Paradigms.

Can anyone out there recommend a dealer (either online or local to the SF Bay area) with good prices on Paradigms and/or willing to split a pair of Atoms or Titans?

Alternatively, Is there anyone out there interested in a single Atom or Titan in white? Anyone else interested in using an Atom or Titan as a center?

Thanks.
    -kdb

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Kevin,

I've heard both the NHT (SB2) and the Paradigm (Titan & Atom) speakers that you've listed.

I really liked the Titans and the SB2s. Very good sounds from both of them. Being that I only saw the SB2s in glossy black, I leaned more towards the finish options on the Titans because I was looking for cherry finished speakers.

If you do go with the CC-170, you could paint the cabinet white and stick with a black grill. This would prevent you from having to purchase a pair of speakers. While a single speaker is OK for the center channel, I do find that the dedicated center channel speakers can be more up to the task of handling dialogue when it comes to movies and such.

Let us know what you decide.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I own the NHT SB2....excellent sound quality, and in my opinion, excellent looks. I got mine for $300.00/pair during the X'mas season from J&R, an authorized dealer. The SB2 does come in white, and I believe NHT is experimenting some in silver. The bad part about having gloss black NHTs is that dust are very apparent on them.

4. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

If it's not too late in the process, I'd like to suggest looking into the Epos ELS-3 line. These speakers are about the same size as the Atoms, and have very similar specs, and are about the same price as well. I've never heard the Atoms, but I have heard the lower end of the Studio line.

I just setup 4 ELS-3s and an ELS-3C center channel this week and I couldn't be happier.

The only tough part is that they're somewhat hard to find, but anyone who distributes Music Hall equipment should be able to get you a pair to demo. The nice part is that they come in two colors (in the US) and the center channel has a choice of colors.

[​IMG]

Stereophile magazine did a great review on them a couple of months back, and The Absolute Sound magazine named them the "budget component of the year" for 2003.

You can find out more about this product at:

www.epos-acoustics.com

5. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

Hi KevinDB,

I've auditioned both the Atoms and Titans before at Simply Stereo. Both are great speakers. They have this device which allowed me to switch channels while I was listening to a classical music. From my ears observation, Titans have more bass the the Atoms.

I decided with Atoms because 70% of it will be used in HT and just 30% in listening to music. If you read my other post, I'm benefitting now from the Atoms because of the high sounds it can produce plus my new one which SVS 20-39PCi sub which produces deep low bass.

I also read some POST hear regarding Boston Acoustics. I never heard it yet but what the guys are saying about it, is that it is neutral/warmer or lively. I am planning of auditioning this speakers too in a couple of months.

Just my 2 cents.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've owned Atoms, Titans, Minis, and Monitor 5s, and that would also be the order in which I'd rank them. The Atoms are clear, but seem to lack bass, and I was never totally happy with them full range or crossed over. They are fine as long as you don't want to crank it up. The Titan takes care of that, and when set to small, work well as mains. Minis are much more clear than the Titans and handle a lot more power, and 5s give more sensitivity (will play louder) and tiny bit more extension than the Minis. I just retired my Titans after many years of service as surrounds, last night as a matter of fact, soon to be sold. My opinion is that for HT, I'd go with Titan mains and Atom rears.

Personally, I like the NHT SB2 better than the Minis.

I'd also recommend you consider the Axiom Audio M3Ti/VP100/M2Ti, as well as the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170.

I haven't heard the EPOS, but the reviews look good.

7. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Hey John, maybe Kevin would like to purchase your Titans.[​IMG]

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I was thinknig the same thing. I'm not 100% certain yet, but I believe they are already spoken for. If not, they are v3, sheilded, w/original box, only used as surrounds, and I will cut a great deal if my potential buyer doesn't work out. [​IMG]