Questions on Breaking Speakers In

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jean D, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I recently ordered the Fluance SX-HTB speaker set (6-8 week wait) Its only been 5 weeks or so now, so I dont have them yet, but I was curious about the "breaking in period" Is there a ideal volume to be at during this period, also, what would be ideal to listen to? cause I was thinking about running a music channel through the Directv while I was at work for a day or so. the only problem I see with that is that its basically only the mains that would be running. so maybe I should slap on an aggressive DVD-A for a few hours. Any opinions or suggestions on this would be appreciated

2. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Having recently received my Ascend 340 l/r's I am also quite curious to see if anyone has an asnwer for this. Oh...and do receivers have "break-in" time?

-Johnal

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

"Break-in" has been discussed before. The evidence is that it's a myth for speakers and receivers.

4. Mohamed_M

Mohamed_M Agent

What ??? a myth for speakers ?? and thats why so many speaker manufacturers mention it ?

5. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

Can one prove the non-existance of something?

6. Ron Sc

Ron Sc Agent

LOUD real LOUD I could tell the differance with my SVS

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

8. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Well, I don't know about it being a myth or not, but when I first built my Tempest sub. I checked out the sub freq's response. At 20hz, my sub hits about 92-93db. Now it's about 2 months old. I checked it again... It's at 98db... Though the freqs at 40hz on have not change much... I can defintely feel the bass more than I did be4... Just a little something to share...

Alex,

9. Dean Wette

Dean Wette Stunt Coordinator

There's a big thread about this going on over at AVSForum with exchange of insults if you're interested. [​IMG]

Dean

10. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

I trust Tom Nousaine over a company any day...

The only logical reason I can think of a company reccomending speaker break-in is that psychologically some people tend to get accustomed to the sound of their new speakers, thinking they are changing for the better over time. By the time the speakers have totally broken in, the return period is up [​IMG]

Check out the very beginning of Ch. 8 in Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. He reccomends driver break-in, but has data that shows that while the parameters DO shift, the effect is hardly audible.

11. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I agree with what Jerry has said. If there is actually a difference due to break-in, it is most likely inaudible. My JBL Studio Series and HSU subwoofer all sound better than the first day they arrived, but not because of break-in, but because I've been tweaking my receiver and SPL levels since day one until I achieved the best results. Invest in an SPL meter, a good calibration disc, a lot of time to tweak and calibrate and the results will be largely better than any "break-in" differences!

12. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Ok, perhaps I should rephrase this before name calling occurs. If by chance, you believe in "breaking in" time, What is recommended as far as volume, media and time go?

13. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

I would recommend listening to your favorite music/movies at your desired listening level for as long as you own the speakers [​IMG]

14. Daniel Metcalf

Daniel Metcalf Stunt Coordinator

Why do people so desperatly want to believe that speaker break-in isn't real? I've experienced it several times, most recently with my newly built Gr-Research AV/3's using direct comparisons with Sennheiser's. I did careful listening right after completion and now 75 hours later they sound much better. It can't be my ears adjusting because the headphones havn't changed one bit, well except when THEY broke in several months ago![​IMG] I'm not going to try to make anyone believe it, that would be pointless. Try it for yourself, believe what you want.

15. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

16. Jerry Parker

I would like to know why if break-in causes such a large and obvious change in the sound, manufacturers don't set up a test with a pair of "broken in" speakers next to a pair right off the manufacturing line and do a blind comparison?

17. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

how do you know that they dont? And in any case, what would be the point of that?

18. Jerry Parker

The point of doing such would be to see if there is indeed a difference or not...

I don't understand how people can think they hear a difference after comparing a "sound signature" they heard days, weeks or months ago to one they just listened to. Granted, if the change was HUGE that wouldnt be as much of an issue, but the fact that tests have been done that show there is not an audible difference (Nousaine, Dickason, etc.) compared to anecdotal stories that don't really prove anything, I'd say that it would require a lot better than a casual comparison to determine if breakin differences are truely audible.

The reason I doubt any manufacturer has done such a test is because they wouldn't be reccomending it anymore if they did, at least not for "sound quality" issues [​IMG] Of course that is pure speculation on my part though [​IMG]

19. Daryn D

Daryn D Agent

If you are a manufacturer and you don't want to have people returning speakers that don't sound good out of the box, you embrace the myth. The breaking in period is you getting used to your speakers' sound in your own house. The manufacturers know that the longer you hear your speakers the more you will "adapt" to their sound, soundstage etc.

20. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

I agree. I'd say it's mostly a marketing thing - to reduce the number of returns due to "The sound wasn't what I expected."