Questions ? Just bought a KV-36XBR250

Discussion in 'Displays' started by howard_Su, Dec 26, 2003.

1. howard_Su

howard_Su Auditioning

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, and I'd like to say that I'm glad to be a member. I've already learned a great deal from reading the FAQ's and browsing around!

Here's my situation, and I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could give me some info/advice.

I just bought a Sony KV-36XBR250 tv and I'd like to learn about what I can do to give me a better picture while watching DVDs. I'm currently using the RCA's that came with the DVD player. I'd also like to eventually get a receiver, a set of speakers and a sub. As of now, the TV is still sitting on the floor. I will need to get a stand.

To recap, here are my questions:

1. What kind/brand/type of connector should I use to connect the DVD to the TV? Is Monster Cable the best?

2. Should I buy a surge protector for the TV and other items?

3. What brand cables should I get? and what cables will I need? component, s video?

4. Where can I find a Sony SU-KVXBR2 stand or one that will fit the XBR250???

I have so many questions, but can't think of all of them right now!! I guess I just need a beginners lesson.

Thanks

2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

1 - Component cable (Don't get Monster - it's overpriced) - Your most cost effective / performance solution would probably be to get a set from Vince Maskeeper during one of his batches.

2 - Surge Protector is a MUST. $20 for usually at least a $25,000 guarantee isn't a bad investment IMO.

3 - If it's just the TV and the DVD, component for video with a pair of analog cables for a direct connection. When you get a receiver with some speakers, then you should get a digital coax cable for the audio to run from your DVD to receiver instead of direct to TV. You'll also need some speaker cable and another digital coax cable for your sub. Brands, other than Vince, would probably be BetterCables or RhinoCables - although they are most expensive for the same cables.

4 - Stand - no idea but I'm sure you'll be able to find something as that's not as technically loaded a question. [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You won't find the older stands any longer, but my friend is in the same boat. He is buying my old KV32FV26 and they don't make the stand either. The stands for the current models will still work, they just don't blend perfectly with the shape of the older sets. Check e-bay and craigslist.org too.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A "welcome to HTF" from me as well, Howard.

I believe your thread will get more attention here in the Display Devices area, which is why I moved it.

If I recall, the XBR250 is a 1998-99 model. Is the set in good condition, and do you know if the previous owner operated the unit conservatively (that is, with the contrast and brightness levels at reasonably low levels)?

And I trust you are aware that the WEGA has a true 16:9 mode. This means you should go into your DVD player's picture-setup menu and select "16:9." Then your WEGA will collapse its scanning-line raster into a 16:9 window when you play 16:9-encoded DVDs. This, along with a decent set of component-video cables, will give you the best-possible picture for DVD sources.

6. howard_Su

howard_Su Auditioning

Guys

Thanks for all your input! I guess I'll be getting a set of component cables. What brand would you recommend I get?

I know that it will be hard to find the exact SU-36xbr2 stand I need, but I'll keep looking for now.

Jack,

I know the shape of the newer sets will not blend with my TV, but do you know if the color of the newer stands will match the XBR250?

As for the surge protector, what brand and model do you guys think I should get? I really want to protect the TV, so money would not be a factor.

Jack,

The TV is in good condition. It has a few very minor scratches on the set. And as far as how the first owner treated the set. I think he used with care. I looked at all the settings and they were set like this:

Picture: set at slightly more than 1/2
    Brightness: less than 1/2
    Color: less than 1/2
    Hue: Middle
    Sharpness: slightly more than 1/2

Is this what you're talking about? Do these settings affect how long the useful life of the TV?

Thanks!

7. Jack Briggs

Yes, I was talking about that. I'd lower the so-called "sharpness" control down to about 20 percent or less, though. Picture/contrast might work better at less than 50 percent. Select the "Warm" color temperature.

As for the current stands, all models sold under the Sony brand name for the WEGA series have the silver finish.

8. howard_Su

howard_Su Auditioning

Jack,

Thanks for your help.

What brand and kind of Surge protector do you suggest I purchase? Also, what brand of cables will give me the best value?

And also, do you know if the silver finish on the new stands will match the silver on my XBR250? Are all the silver finishes the same tone?

Thanks!

9. Jack Briggs

Not sure about the exact tone, since some WEGAs with darker color schemes have come and gone. But the original WEGA silver color is still in use today. Best thing to do would be to go to a brick-and-mortar store and check out the stands.

As for a surge protector, I'd go with any decent unit rated good enough to work with computers. I consider a surge protector essential. But don't waste money on silly things like "power-line conditioners" from Monster Cable.

And, finally, almost any decent set of component-video cables will do. Monster may be generally overpriced, but the company's cables certainly aren't bad. In my bedroom system, I'm using a nice set of component-video cables from, of all places, Radio Shack. They're very nicely shielded.