What's new

Questions from newbie re: Paradigm speakers (1 Viewer)

Dietrich Loos

Auditioning
I just bought a new receiver/speaker set-up that consists of the following:

Denon AVR 3805
Paradigm Mini Monitors (front)
Paradigm CC-370 (center)
Paradigm ADP-370 (surround)
Paradigm PS-1000 (sub)

My first question is, is this a properly matched speaker package? I listened to it at the dealer and compared it to other combinations and I thought it sounded great, and I think it sounds great in my basement, but I'd appreciate any thoughts as to whether any piece of the package doesn't fit with the rest.

I still have my old system sitting around the house, that I'll be looking to sell if I can find anyone interested. It consists of the following:

Denon AVR 3300
Paradigm Atoms (front and surround)
Paradigm CC-170 (center)
Paradigm PDR-10 (sub)

My second question is, rather than try to sell my old system as a package, should I keep 2 of the Atoms and run some wire to the back wall for a 7.1 set-up? Will the Atoms suffice for 7.1 rear surround duty? Will the Atoms match the rest of my set-up? If so, will I notice enough of a difference watching movies with the 2 Atoms in the rear to make it worthwhile to figure out how to get them mounted back there?

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I don't know much about the "technical" aspects of home theater, which is why I've found this forum to be so helpful. Any thoughts?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that looks like a properly matched package, but I'd go for a PW1200, or a Servo 15 as the sub instead, or even better, get an SVS PCi sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd opt for Minis instead of the ADPs and Monitor 5s as mains instead of Minis, simply for cost reasons and the fact that I prefer monopoles to bi/dipoles for surround. The Minis are good, but the 5s have much more presence than the Minis. I agree about the sub too, there are SVS and HSU subs in the same price range that will outperform the PS1000.

Yes, the Atoms would make good rears in a 7.1 setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks