What's new

Questions from a Newbie (1 Viewer)

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello all,

I am about to start the framing for our downstairs basement which will include a dedicated home theater room. I have several questions before I decide on the final dimensions, etc.

Here they are:

I can build up to a 15 X 20 room for the home theater. Is size a consideration and does it matter about the dimensions of the room? What aspect ratio should you have to produce the best sound quality?

Is it best not to build the room next to an outer wall or next to your heating and cooling system, where the components would be closest?

Would having the front of the room be smaller than the back, like an auditorium shape produce better sound quality or does it matter, since the room want be real big?

Should I put joists closer together (on 12" centers) to help soundproof the room more or does that matter?

As far as having better soundproofing, would it be best to place the home theater room to where two of the walls are facing the outside of the house, which is underground?

Thats all so far. I'm sure I will have more. Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
As far as having better soundproofing, would it be best to place the home theater room to where two of the walls are facing the outside of the house, which is underground?
I think this helps. It definitely helps with sound being transmitted outside your home. But, vibrations can be transmitted through solid objects such as wall studs connected to floor joists above. I was going to go as far as attaching my wall frame to my basement masonry and leaving a small gap between the top plate and the floor joists. But, then I figured, that was a lot of jerking around for probably very little difference and since I only have a kitchen above my HT, I just went with the traditional construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks