What's new

Questions from a newb... (1 Viewer)

KevinA

Agent
Couple questions... sorry if lame.
1. Just got my basement finished, bought my hdtv and a new progressive dvd. Not much $$ left for the audio :frowning: and im on a tight leash by the wife... so I will be using my old sony dolby digital receiver that only has like a 35w rating for surrounds. Just got a helluva deal on a pair of n26aws (wife insist on white for surrounds:b)that are rated 125w... will this be a problem? Can you mess up speakers by underpowering them??
2. How messed up will my soundstage (damned if i even know what a "soundstage" is but it sounds as if it fits for this question) be using smaller speakers as my main speakers?? The speakers have to sit in my entertainment center and the n24s seem perfect. I guess this question is really for the future when i pick up a fully powered receiver... will the surrounds overpower the mains?
no laughing at the dumb questions.. :D
edit: I've only just bought the n26s, so i have nothing for my mains just yet and maybe you guys (if convincing enough) can talk the wife into bigger mains? the n26s are definately the biggest i can go, if i can even get that big. :b

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
1.) You won't do any damage to your surrounds by underpowering them.
2.) Your receiver should have the ability to balance the level going to each speaker individually. Because of this, you should be able to calibrate using an spl meter so equal volume will be comming from every speaker. You might also consider N26AWIIs for all four speakers, and wall mount the fronts and rears, if your wife will allow it. If your walls are white, they should blend right in.
Good luck and hope this helps :)

KevinA

Agent
thanks for the reply! :)
Im going to be placing the n26s on a white ledge so they will blend in nicely... but in the front, my entertainment center takes up pretty much the whole wall. It consists of two large bookshelves with an bridge that holds my audio/video and a shelf that my center speaker will one day occupy. I can adjust the shelves on the bookcase but my wife doesnt want something thats going to take up all her book/picture room...:frowning: Her ideal speakers (from her mouth) were something like those cute little bose speakers.:thumbsdown: Hopefully the n24s will suit her. :P
Anyone else out there with larger surrounds than mains? Seems so weird!
also i finally found something on my old receiver.. its only 20w per channel on the surrounds! Hell will there even be ANY sound from 'em?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There are also N24AWIIs, which are the white version of the N24IIs. If you're going to be using the N24IIs in the front, you might want to consider using N24AWIIs as your rears. Because the only difference is the size of the woofers (5.25" vs. 6.5") i don't think you'll have any problem w/ the rears overpowering the fronts, especially since the rears are only going to have 20W per channel.

Since you're going to be running an extremely small speaker as your mains, you're going to need a pretty good sub to pick up the slack, because the neither 24s or 26s will put out sufficient bass at all. A jbl pb-10 would be a great match, and is available from J&R for $199 with free shipping. Also, don't forget to match up a N Center II to complete your setup.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
you can ruin a speaker by underpowering it....happens much more often than overpowering a speaker

when you push an amp past its limits it begins to clip and this is very bad for the speakers.....using the n24s for surround might be worse regarding clipping when compared to the n26s because the n26s are more sensitive (88db for the n26 and 86db for the n24s...3db difference in sensitivity is equal to doubling the power of the amp)

but, you really should be fine with either speaker considering that they are for surround duty and don't get all that much action anyways

KevinA

Agent
I will definitely be picking up the n-center and the n24s (i hope) sometime soon... the sub will have to wait untill I can find the $$$ for it and a new receiver. The old sony I have doesnt have any outputs for a sub. :frowning:
Thanks for the info jason, I had read another post on clipping and think thats where I started getting worried about using this old p.o.s. receiver. Sounds as if i'll be ok 'till the funds pop up for a new one. :cool:

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Clipping can be a problem, but only if the power going to your speakers is less than the minnimum power the speakers are rated for. Both the n24 and n26 have minnimum suggested power raitings of receivers rated at 5watts. Since your receiver is rated 20watts for each surround channel, you shouldn't have any problem. The speakers will not try to draw more current than is available from the amplifier, which is the cause of clipping.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
JasonA,
I've got it. Take your wife out to the Tobacco Company for a lovely dinner. Then make a short trip to Shockoe Bottom for a night of "fun" and "Festivities". When she is "tipsy" start begging and pleading your case, look like a fool man.
Me thinks she will give in and let you have the theatre of your dreams. If that doesn't work then slowely drive home going through downtown and discuss "other options". Either way I think you'll get your system.
I married the first one that liked music and gadgets as much as I did:D However that was before true "home theater" and she is on the "ropes" n letting me do what I want. Maybe I'll follow my own advise and make a trip to Richmond.;)

KevinA

Agent
Phil, thats how i got the rptv and the new dvd player!! ;) (not to mention the new big *ss chair, kick butt entertainment center... ect.)
I want to wait anyway. She'll go for a good reciever and sub eventually. I just have to bide my time! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks