Questions from a DVD burning rookie

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dave Miller, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

I recently bought this Sony stand alone DVD recorder / burner and it has really worked like a champ. It came w/ a ton of Nero software (Express, Vision Express, Backup, Recode, Showtime, etc.) and now that I've messed around with that, I'm a little overwhelmed and am getting confused between all these apps.

So far, I'm using the recorder to dump stuff off of my HDTivo onto DVD+RW, then taking the drive and the disc over to my PC and editing it. I have a few questions that I hope are simple:
    1. Every time a DVD is placed into a DVD drive on my PC (internal or external) Dell Media Experience launches. I want Nero to be my new default player, so how do I disable the Dell program from launching? I set Nero as the default during installation, but it is not working.
    2. I have downloaded IfoEdit to change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 and have successfully done that, but now I can't remember how I did it. Using an +RW disc, can IfoEdit be used to change the disc directly meaning I don't burn to the hard drive first. I've tried to select the Video_TS files directly on the +RW disc and it tells me that my administrative rights on the drive need to be changed to do this. Can I change this and how?
    3. Which Nero app is best used to simply dump the contents of the +RW onto the hard drive?
    4. Which Nero app is best used to edit menus, chapters, delete commercials, etc.?[/list=1]

Any help to any of these questions will be appreciated. If you can hook me up to a dvd burning forum, I'd love that too.

Peace,

DM

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

for #1, try this.

1. open windows explorer
    2. rt-click the dvd drive icon / properties
    3. go to the auto-play tab
    4. configure it to load nero instead of the dell app

i don't use nero, so i can't help with the other stuff...

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

The forum on Nero at cdfreaks.com, and the Newbie forum there, would both be good for you. As it happens cdfreajs is down today, though. Go to cdfreaks.com later.

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions. Anybody else?

Peace,

DM