Questions for Zone Alarm users...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i'm thinking about installing kazaalite. definitely don't want to install the full-blown version. (correct?)

anway, i already downloaded ad aware and that worked fine. then i started researching zone alarm.

out on zdnet are several reviews of people who apparantly had lots of problems with this app. specifically in the uninstall portion. i think there were other complaints as well.

so that got me a little worried. i just reformatted and installed my OS (98se) and my pc is clean as a whistle...i kind of want to keep it that way.

so, i'd just like to know your thoughts on this app. i'm relatively pc savvy, so i think i can handle most "normal" issues.

also, any comments in general are most appreciated.

thanks in advance,

ted

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I never had any problems with Zone Alarm, but that was a long time ago. When I got a hardware firewall I gave up on software firewalls. While doing COM development I also got burned once so I stopped using them.
    -Andre F

3. Eric Gan

Eric Gan Agent

Hi Ted,

I was running ZoneAlarm 3 Pro on my Win98 machine. I think the program is fine if you have a single PC connected to the net. However, it caused all sorts of problems with my LAN.

The first thing I did when troubleshooting my LAN was to turn off all instances of ZoneAlarm, and prevent any of its services from starting up during boot. My computers could see each other, but files and internet connection could not be shared. After chasing this problem for 2 days, I realized that if I turned ON ZoneAlarm, the network would function normally. I think the program buries itself pretty deep into the O/S.

Since there are times when I want my firewall off, I decided it was too much of a hassle. It also seemed to suck up quite a bit of resources (plus it definitely adds a few more seconds to your windows startup time). So I uninstalled it. Next time I booted up my computer, Windows complained there was a file missing. A quick search on Google will reveal that it's a documented problem, and you have to delete a reference in the registry.

All in all, not a very good experience with the program. But hey...the lite version is free, so you can always give it a try.

Good Luck,

Eric

P.S Wooohooo....took me 5 years to break the 100 post mark!

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...thanks for the info guys. it doesn't sound very appealing. i'm running an old 200mmx right now, so you can imagine that resources are quite important. [​IMG]
    maybe i'll hold off for now. i'm pretty careful of what i download and view anyway.
    i think a friend of mine has a linksys router she's not using. i'm not real familiar with using a router as a firewall, but i'll research that part later.
    thx again.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Sygate has a firewall program (free for non-commercial users) that will work on a small LAN. We run it on a P100 (32mb) acting as a gateway to share our cable modem and printer.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'd say to stay away from the Sygate (Personal Little Firewall or something like that...) product. I found ways (by mistake no less) of getting access to ports with very simple code. IMHO, stay away.
    -Andre F

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

ted i've had no issues with zone alarm whatsoever although I've not uninstalled it. also there've been no issues using the P2P programs while it's running as its just a matter of setting up the security options. If you're going to run Kazaa or KazaaLite, consider this freeware addon called Diet Kazaa. When used with Kazaa it blocks the spyware and other good things. It also speeds up downloads by persistently going through your download list automatically and checking for more sources. Please note that Diet Kazaa eliminates the dummy dll file that KazaaLite and presumably Kazza's spyware one routing various requests through it instead.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

cool...thanks for the tip on diet kazaa chu. i'll keep it in mind if i decide to use the program.