What's new

Questions for the Nikon folks re: D50/D70 (1 Viewer)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I'm trying to research a decent entry level DSLR but from what I've read the D50/70 don't have the ability to use a shutter release cable? Is this true? I find this kind of odd for a SLR camera. Otherwise I may have to get a digital Rebel.

thanks,
Jeff

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The D50 and D70 don't have actual cable release option, but you can use an IR remote to trigger the shutter. If you do go for a remote, you might want to check out Pogo's personal universal remote instead of going w/ the Nikon branded remote, which is quite weak in IR range. I never got around to it myself, but many others have had no problems w/ using the Pogo remote (or some other universal remote) -- one co-worker of mine went that route for his D70.

Too bad I can't have that inexpensive option for the D200 though...

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Interesting. How does this remote work? Do you basically set the camera to Bulb then click the remote?

Jeff

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You just click the remote (period). :D If you need this for bulb mode, you might need to do some more digging to find out how it'd work for that. I'll see if my coworker knows.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Oh, the D70 allows both a wired and remote option for a release, while the D50 only offers remote release.

I'm with you, I'm trying to decide which one to get, and I'm having a hard time deciding. I won't be making any money with this, it will be purely for fun, but the 18-70 on the d70 is almost enough for me to spend the extra $$ The feature set isn't tha much better, but the stock lens is better.

Brent

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Brent,

You must be thinking of the D70s, not original D70, w/ a wired remote option. I had forgotten that the D70s has that option.

I would suggest giving both D50 and D70/D70s a hands-on try before choosing. You can always buy the 18-70 DX lens separately, if that's what you want on a D50.

_Man_

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, you're right.

The 70 fills up my hand nicely, just like my old 35MM stuff with motor drive attached. While the 50 feels just as well made, it is quite a bit smaller.

The accessories catalog for the 70 is much larger than the 50 too.

Brent

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Consider the 50 if:

You don't already have a collection of Compact Flash Cards
You're never going to buy a Nikon flashgun (D50 must use the more expensive SB-800 for wireless flash)
If you don't mind the slightly more clunky ergonomics (2nd command dial on the 70 is invaluable, I find)
If you want better JPGs straight out of the camera (the 70 generally needs some post work on most shots but you can minimise this).

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jeff,

I have a D50 and so far I love it. I used Minolta SLR film cameras forever and then several differnet digital point and shoot cameras.

I also bought the 18-70 DX lens and it has been great for me. I plan to add a larger zoom next and I am looking into that now.

Good luck,
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks