Questions for Sony KV-34XBR910 Owners

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Glenn-May, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Glenn-May

Glenn-May Auditioning

Nov 19, 2002
    My best friend just purchased the Sony KV-34XBR910 on my advice that it is the best direct view set out there. I am going to his house on Sunday to hook it up for him. He does not know anything about Home Theatre really. Couple of question for you owners:

First, we will be going to buy him a new DVD player on sunday. Would a DVD player like the Samsung with a DVI connection make That much of a difference with this set? Has anyone compared the component connections with the DVI? Is it a big enough difference to justify the expense? Does it make more sense to save the DVI port for a Hi Def box? If so, then is a progressive scan player vital with this set? I know with the Phillips sets that have Pixel Plus most people prefer feeding it and interlaced signal and letting the Pixel Plus take over. Does the Sony have a feature like Pixel Plus that makes progressive scan unnecessary? If not, any recommendations for a decent Progressive player from Best Buy?

Lastly, is there any vital changes to make in the Svc menu, or just use AVIA to calibrate basic settings? Any other things I should know about when setting up his set?

As usual Thanks So much guys!
  2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    All sets, including even this stunning model, benefit from the grayscale tweaks possible through the service menu.

And given the XBR910's unprecedented-for-a-direct-view resolution, you should be able to detect the slight improvement in image quality afforded by the Samsung's DVI output.

As for a DVD player, I'd always recommend going with a progressive-scan machine. The Sony's equivalent to Philip's Pixel Plus is Digital Reality Creation. As good as it may be, I'd rather rely on a prog-scan machine's scaling.