Questions for setup with no rear surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim-M, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

I'd just like to get some improved sound over the TV speakers that we're using now. For aesthetic reasons (i.e. wife acceptance factor) I'd like to just have front speakers. Virtual surround from either the DVD player or receiver would be fine with me. Our current Sony DVD player has some virtual surround modes. Some questions:

1) If I had a set of speakers such as the Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble III (2 fronts, subwoofer), what would be a good receiver so that I could get some virtual surround?

2) Assuming a setup like #1, would it work to add a center channel speaker and still have some virtual surround?

3) If I went with an inexpensive home theater system like a Sony HT-DDW740, would that work OK or provide any virtual surround if I didn't use the rear surrounds that come with it?

I've done some searching on this but haven't really seen what I'm looking for. Thanks for any help you can provide an ignorant soul like myself.

Jim

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if i understand you correctly...

i think you may be confusing what the speakers do vs. what the receiver will do.

surround is processed in the receiver. if you don't have 5 speakers, you can tell the receiver that you only have front spakers. the receiver will then "know" to take the sound that normally goes to the rear and "combine" them with the front speakers.

that way you still hear all the sound...it just won't come from behind you.

the receiver will even work in 2-channel mode. so you don't even need the center speaker.

so, to answer your questions:

1. any receiver will work
    2. adding a center will split the sound three ways. dialog to the center, everything else to the left/right
    3. i'm not sure how htb's are setup. i imagine you could still tell it you only have three speakers, but i'm not sure.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    1) As Ted said, pretty much any receiver will do the job.

2) It can only help.

3) Why buy all the speakers and not use some of them? Get better gear and add the other speakers later.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I think he means a "simulated surround" with two speakers. The only thing i can think of that does that is SRS. Don't they have a simulated surround thing? You know Bose has that kind of thing in their 3-2-1 setup too. Don't get the bose,but you know, that kind of thing is out there. I don't think many of us know much bout that cause we don't waste our time with anything less than 5.1 [​IMG] Personally, I'd just go with what the previous two posts said, and not use a simulated surround, it's bound to be a little strange. Just get any receiver, and some speakers.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Most any receiver can do simulated surround from just two speakers. He also mentioned that his DVD player has this feature as well, so does mine and most recent units, in which case, all that is needed is a receiver/amp.

With the front speakers, you will be missing out on quite a bit, even with "simulated" surround.

6. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

Thanks for the help guys. You answered my questions pretty well.