What's new

Questions for RPTV guys and techs.. (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Talking of straight 4.3 RPTV's...
1) Is the Delta 77/78 lens, a good/ok/decent quailty lens? and also how much better is the 78/79?
Probley dealing with question (1) also, 7"-liquied cooled/coupled tubes. Good/bad/other?
2) When talking digital comb filters, is there a big difference between 2-D and 3-D?
3) CTI correction- what is this?
4) Vidio DNR- what is this?
5) When talking Laberts - is 550 an acceptable brightness?
6) 850 lines + of Hororzontal resolution, dose this really mean much when talking 4.3 RPTV's?
7) Dose anyone know anything about Philips new -[Image Max]- technology thier useing on thier new sets?
Alot of questions, but (anything you guys can imput on), woud be apreciated!
Thanxs
Geoff

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
2. The difference between 2D and 3D comb filters is subtle because there are not that many places during the course of a show that it shows up. The primary place it shows up is that with a 3D filter thin diagonal lines such as for a pinstriped shirt are free of rainbow swirls but only when the subject matter is stationary while for a 2D filter the rainbow swirls are there all the time.
6. If the analog TV really has 850 lines of horizontal resolution it will typically display side by side details not quite that small, say 1/650'th the screen height in width with more light/dark contrast than a TV that just makes it (with 650 lines of resolution). It will make a difference if you feed in a HDTV program even after conversion to NTSC by the set top box, if the conversion quality is good enough.
More: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidcomb.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on September 28, 2001 at 11:37 AM]
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on September 28, 2001 at 11:41 AM]

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Allen for your input on question 2&6! Very hepfull!!!
The world of RPTV is brand new to me and of course all things are not created equal...!
Trying my best to learn ....
Anyone else with input on any of my other question??? ~~ Also, links to reading material would be welcome.
=================
I understand that things are not always clear cut and dry, but any type of basic info with any or all of these questions would help!
==================
Thanxs
Geoff
Edit-
Allen, I missed the link! Excellent read, put in ways the lay-person can understand! Very good, must say thanks again.....
[Edited last by Geoff L on September 28, 2001 at 01:19 PM]

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
On comb filters: comb filters serve to separate chroma and luma (color and brightness) in a video signal. This processing is only necessary for composite video. S-video and component completely bypass the comb filter. So if you're using S-video or component, the comb filter quality is irrelevant.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
To all, thanxs for your very quick replys. :) :)
Thank you Yohan....
===============
Allens, provided read, just educated me on this...
===============
Still looking for info on the other stuff??
Anyone-----

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
CTI = Color Transient Improver, which is circuitry to improve the sharpness (ie. less edge bleeding) for color, red in particular.
Steve

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thank you Steve,
To Steve or others,
CTI- RPTV's useing this, well I mean is this the same in all sets?
Do some (set/brands useing -cti-) do a better job with this than others?
Or would it be the same for all that use it?
Dose this CTI circuit really have that big of bearing in viewing, if so what types? It would sounds as though it would cover all, or just some types viewing find better improvment, composite input?
Still curious on the lens 77/78 etc...
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks