Questions for owners of spas/hot tubs

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jake Gove, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

What brands are good, and which ones are crap? I know Hot Springs is good (but very expensive). I'm looking to get one that will seat four people comfortably. My size constraint is roughly 7 ft by 7 ft. The max I would spend is $5K, but would prefer to be under that. What should I know about jets, ozone, etc.?

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

We had an el-cheapo Home Depot-type model (believe it was called "Harbor Springs", and now own a Hot Springs that was came with our new house. The Hot Springs is very superior, but was also 2x the price. It uses far less chemicals, much less electricity and is easier to clean and keep chemically balanced (has 5 filters vs 1 in the Harbor Springs). We have had problems, but most were covered with the 5 yr transferrable warranty (tub leak, thermostat calibration and a high-pressure pump).

Both had ozone filters, so I can't comment on their effectiveness vs. non-ozone tubs. Keep the jets simple. We have one "spinal jet" that flows up and down your spine. When it worked, it was wonderful. But over the past 5 yrs the plastic mechanism became brittle and broke, so now there is no jet in that location at all !

Any specific questions, let us know !

3. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I own a Hotspring spa and I love it (so I may be a little biased).

With my and my parents experience with spas, I could never recommend getting a "cheaper" spa. My parents had a relatively cheap tub and had nothing but problems. They now have a Hotspring and love it.

Watkins, the makers of Hotsprings, also makes Tiger River Spas. In most cases, they are made with the same components of the Hotsprings tubs, but are targeted at the $3-6k price range.

When buying, look for these things:
    Good insulation. Have the salesperson remove the maintenance cover to the tub. If the whole inside of the tub appears hollow, then the insulation is not that good. All hoses and wiring should look neat and clean. No non-insulated wires should be dangling around (seen this before on brand new spas).

Make sure you get a good standard warranty. The cheapo hot tubs will always offer to sell you an extended warranty, but you should not have to pay for 5-8 years of solid coverage from the actual manufacturer.

An ozonator will make a big difference in amount of chemicals required. Every Hotsprings spa has it as an option, and it's well worth it.

My spa has an artificial wood skirt that is zero maintenance and never needs replacing. Real wood skirts wear out and need replacing after as little as 4 years.

I think after 5+ years of ownership, a Hotsprings will pay for itself in chemicals, repairs and power savings over any tub half its price.

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Onsen Hot Springs all the way. The quality IMO is far superior to others that are out on the market and they will not crack over time like fiberglass units.

Plus if you have medical conditions the Hot Springs back massager is medically tested/approved. My parents got their insurance to pay for 1/3 of the hot tub since they have bad backs.

KyleS

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Kyle,

How hard was it to get insurance to pay for this?? How serious do the back problems have to be?? My wife has back problems, she sees a massage therapist and a chiropractor on a regular basis. We've wanted a hot tub for awhile and this would be really nice for her back... But I'm guessing if I called up my health insurance company and explained this to them, they'd have a good laugh at my expense.

6. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    My wife and I have decided to purchase a Spa/Hot Tub. We are still mainly just looking right now - but I do have this question:

Is a Spa purchase something you can finance via the retailer? From what little research I have done, this doesn't appear to be an option.

I don't have (nor do I want) a credit card that has a limit of $4-$5 K - so that wouldn't be an option for us. I will have the cash later this fall - but I was trying to get this installed sometime early this summer, and my only option at that time would be finacing it.

Thanks for any/all info....

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Ryan,

I am sure it will depend on your insurance company but my folks did what you will have to do and called their carrier. They both (though mainly my mom) went to her chiropractor on a pretty regular basis. Like I said the insurance company ended up paying for 1/3 of the hot tub. It helped my mom and I am sure that the insurance company has saved a ton of money since she doesnt go nearly as often as she used to. Give them a call and find out heck you never can tell what they will do and the worst that could happen is that they tell you no.

Not sure about the insurance companies now since they did have this done approx 8 years ago before a lot of the HMO, PPO problems started to happen (insurances tightening down, etc).

KyleS

8. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Michael;

I would be suprized if the spa dealer did not offer at least 90 days same as cash through their own financing. Be careful though, they often charge back-interest if it goes over 90 days.

If you are a homeowner you may want to consider an equity line of credit. Rates below 5% and tax-dedutcible!! Yummy-yummy!

Now my question; is anyone familiar with Nordic Spas or Gulf Coast spas? I am looking at getting one too. Prob the 6.5 foot dia. circle. I can get the Gulf coast at a reduced rate, lets say less than $3000, or the Nordic for around $3500. Both have about the same features. i suspect the ervice would be better with the Nordic...