questions for owners of sony kv-34hs510...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by KennethF, Jul 14, 2003.

1. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

can someone tell me what stretch and/or zoom modes are on this set? i've tried to get the owner's manual from the sony website, and this tv isn't on their television list to get online manuals (too new?).

anyway, i also tried to see it at tweeters, best buy, and circuit city, but the only signals hooked up were hd (which were fantastic).

any help with learning about the stretch or zoom modes, as well as opinions and experiences, would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for your help!

2. CharlesDLP

CharlesDLP Auditioning

You could always stop by my "sorry excuse for a BB" store. The entire HD direct view line up is being force feed a lousy downconverted 1080i to 480i signal via coax like all the analog sets in the store. Only way to show customers HD on these sets is to unplug them, put them on a cart, take them over to the RPTV area, and borrow a component video hookup from one of the big screens. No one at my store seems to care that we are selling $2000 sets like the Sony KV-34HS510 and don't even have HD connectivity for them.

Stretch modes work great btw which is what you want to test out. I forget what modes it has, but there are several. Some idiot keeps putting this Sony set back in 4:3 mode. I put it back in the "full" stretch mode like 10 times today. 12 hours a day, 363 days a year ... it's no wonder half of these display units get damaged due to burn-in when the people that work there don't keep the stretch modes implemented. Anyway, this is turning into a rant so let me stop while I'm ahead. I'll copy the page from the manual for the Sony set and bring it home on Wednesday. If no one has an answer for you by then I'll post the various stretch modes it has to offer.

3. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the response, charles...

surely im not the only one who may be getting this television... does anyone have it and can you comment on the stretch and zoom modes for 4:3 aspect pictures? i plan to use it primarily with directv with some ota hd channels.

thanks for you help!

4. AndySaj

AndySaj Auditioning

Just got mine set up yesterday, although just to Directv, my HD cable gets installed tomorrow.

Anyway, there are Full (16:9), Normal (4:3), Zoom, and Wide Zoom. Wide Zoom seems to do the best job with 4:3 pictures, doesn't seem to skew it too much in the middle. I am still tweaking things though, so that is all the info I have right now.

Andy