Questions for Onkyo tx sr600 SKS-HT500 owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacqueline C, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Jacqueline C

Jacqueline C Agent

Just ordered the reciever and speaker set. Wanted to get the cables and speaker wires before they arrive as I don't want to have to move the really heavy tv more than once to connect everything. I here I should replace the subwoofer cable and the speaker wire. So my questions are if I get 12 gauge speaker wire, do I need banana plugs or something or are the holes big enough to put the bare wire in? Should I settle for 14 gauge? Do I look for "subwoofer wire" per se or do I do a search for "coaxial cable" or what?

BTW is anybody having trouble with Parts Express website? I was trying to look at cables there but my computer gets stuck each time I try to do a search. No other website does that.

2. Adam Y

Adam Y Auditioning

I just bought that speaker set from the Onkyo website a week ago and hooked up this past Monday.

I bought all of my cables from PartsExpress; the Dayton Audio line. As for the speaker wire, I bought a 50 ft. roll of 12 gauge Sound King. If your receiver has posts rather than spring clips than you should get some banana plugs from RadioShack. The speakers have spring clips so I just used bare wire on that end.

PartsExpress didn't have the "subwoofer" cable so I just bought a regular yellow video cable that works just the same. Or you can use regular coax with F-to-RCA adapters from RadioShack.

Adam

3. Jacqueline C

Jacqueline C Agent

Thanks Adam. Did you use stands and/or brackets for the speakers? I thought I'd use stands for the fronts and surrounds and a bracket for the back speaker which I'm getting separately. Do you have any suggestions for stands and or brackets?
    thanks again

4. Adam Y

Adam Y Auditioning

I bought a pair of Chicago Audio 28" stands from Circuit City for the fronts. They are pretty nice stands and easy to assemble for $60 but are a little light.

I haven't decide what I'm gonna use for the surrounds since I don't have them hooked up yet. I live in an apartment so that's making me think twice about how I wanna go about mounting and wiring them.

Adam

5. RickBoiler

RickBoiler Auditioning

Did you buy the reconditioned Onkyo set-up (TXSR600 Package)?

Any advise on buying reconditioned items?

6. Adam Y

Adam Y Auditioning

I just bought the SKS-HT500 brand new. For only $245 you might as well buy new. It looks like they offer a pretty good extended warranty on refurbished products though.

Adam