questions for my first DIY project, tempest sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian Pokosh, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Brian Pokosh

Brian Pokosh Agent

I'm sure I'll have quite a few questions as I get started on this project, a tempest sub in an Adire Alignment box. Right now I'm still purchasing tools, though I have the driver and amp in hand. I bought a router and bits several weeks ago, but no table saw. Since I haven't bought the MDF yet, is it advisable to just have Lowes cut all of my cuts? I was going to have them do three of the cuts so I could bring it home in my car, but now I'm thinking about having them cut everything. Right now I have only a circular saw and a 96" edge guide with clamps.

2. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Hey- Brian

Sometimes Lowe's / Home Depot will get the cuts very close. MANY times they will not. Here is what my broke %#&&$%@ did. Go get you a cheap jig saw or circular saw. From here you can set (clamp) you a level or thick "ruler" on the mdf. I have a 48" ruler; from here you can run a decent'ly straight fence.

You may want more exact cuts than this. But I have been very happy and it has not cost me much AT ALL.

From Lowes's a $38.99 jig saw and $10 non-pluge craftsman router (garage sale) did this: (with round-over bit)

BTW- some for auto --some for home

0.66cf sealed SOLO-baric C10 (auto)

0.75 cf sealed Inf Perfect 10.1 (auto)

122L sealed Tempest (85% stuffed) (HT)

67L sealed Tempest (100% stuffed) (both)

1.35 sealed IDMAX (auto- miss very much)

1.2 cf sealed Soundstream Rubicon 12" (auto)

1.35cf ported IDQ @ 33 hz (auto)

100L sealed Tempest (85% stuffed) (best for HT IMO)

After three projects I really mastered what I was doing. Practice was my best advice.

My point is that you don't need $1000+ tools to really master a DIY sub.

Hope this helps and g'luck

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Since you already have the circular saw and straight edge I would say get the big cuts done at Lowes and then do the precise cuts with your saw. Even if they are out 1/8" it can be a pain to recut the wood. Good luck with the project. Just make sure the box and driver are airtight.

4. Brian Pokosh

Brian Pokosh Agent

So have them do a few cuts but several inches over, so that I can recut the edge? I watched them cut a sheet of MDF today and it seems hard to believe I'd be able to do a better job with just the circular saw and guide. Has anyone had them do all of the cuts and had good results?

5. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Yeah I had them do all the cuts for my tempest and it turned out fine this time but sometimes they are off.

6. Brian Pokosh

Brian Pokosh Agent

I'm ordering the rest of the parts I need from partsexpress now - does anyone know the part number of the correct port for the adire alignment? And polyfill, I've been reading past posts and can't determine if I should use it or not. Any advice on that?

7. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

If you're building a sealed sub, grab a few bags of polyfill from WalMart. If ported, you don't need to stuff it really.