Questions for Miyazaki fans

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brian"Thomas", Apr 22, 2003.

1. Brian"Thomas"

Brian"Thomas" Auditioning

Hey everyone. I am a newbie here and I have a question about Hayao Miyazaki's films. I have heard he is a tremendous animator, and I was curious as to what his top 5 films were? Also, are his films childish and don't appeal to adults. I'm a 20 year old with no kids and am a big animation fan, as long as there is stuff I can enjoy. I don't like stuff for kids only. Some of his movies APPEAR to be childish, so I was curious if they are or if i'm pre-judging. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Brian

2. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Hello and Welcome Brian! [​IMG]

As I'm sure you'll get a few replies about the wonder of Hayao Miyazaki's films, to answer your questions. His films aren't childish yet they are full of a child-like wonder that appeal to young and old alike. Some of his best movies are:

Spirited Away
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Castle in the Sky
    Princess Mononoke (probably his most adult-oriented film)

all the above are available in region 1 (Totoro in a pan and scan only dubbed version).

Hope this answers your questions. Oh, and for the record, I'm a single man in my early thirties who can't get enough animated fare. [​IMG]

Rafael

3. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

To start with I'd recommend picking out Princess Mononoke (I always want to carry the 'on' a bit further with that title... Monononononoke *ahem* I digress :b)

Anyway, Mononoke and Spirited away are probably his most accessible films (although a spirited debate about the 'explanations' surrounding spirited away and a seeming lack of cohesiveness currently rages elsewhere on these forums).

All the films in the list given by Brian are excellent although I feel Totorro is more explicitly youngster orientated.

Anyway I'm twenty something myself and I love them. I hope that's some recommendation!

Edit : Oh, and WELCOME! [​IMG]

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Welcome to the Forum, Brian!

5. Brian"Thomas"

Akira or Ghost in the Shell never really interested me for some strange reason. Does that mean that I won't like Miyazaki's films?

6. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

7. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind yet. It's a gorgeous film and a bit more mature than some of Miyazaki's others. The score by Joe Hisaishi is absolutely phenomenal. I'm not sure what the status of that film is for release on video or DVD, but if you can manage to get your hands on it somehow, check it out because it's wonderful.

P.S. If you are interested in learning more about Miyazaki and his work, check out the definitive website for all things Miyazaki: http://www.nausicaa.net

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I'm in the Akira/Ghost in the Shell camp myself, but I loved 'Spirited Away', an exquisitely animated fantasy, it deserved it's Oscar win.

Miyazaki also made 'Porco Rosso' which is prob the odd one out of his films, no child protagonist or fantasy world, but has the usual great animation, and is quite funny too.

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I can't believe nobody has mentioned Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind yet.

10. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Eric,

11. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

I'm 45 years old and have loved Miyazaki films back when I could only watch it in unsubtitled Japanese; I don't understand a word of the language but I still loved the films. Now with the Disney dubs which are think are excellent and subtitled Ghibli collections available these films can be readily appreciated by everyone. They are stunning visually, very magical. All include a particular weakness of mine; spectacular flying sequences. I'd place the following films at the top of my Miyazaki list (in descending order of preference)

Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind
    Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    Spirited Away
    Princess Mononoke
    Kiki's Delivery Service

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

13. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Two other suggestions:

Castle of Cagliostro - this is a Miyazaki film based on the long running anime series about the child of a infamous French thief name Arsene Lupin. But in typical Miyazaki fashion, he creates a story using those existing characters and makes us care for them in this fun romp. Still holds its own against many a animated feature today.

His studio, Studio Ghibli, also has another director of note: Isao Takahata. Takahata directed the very moving and famous adaptation of the tale of two young Japanese brother and sister into Grave of the Fireflies. The characters in it will make you cry as you have never cried before. Get the two disc Collector's Edition.

14. Brian"Thomas"

I enjoy some of the REALLY good Disney films, my favs being The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin. My favs (not movies) are the animated Fox shows (Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, King of the Hill).

15. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Brian: If you like The Lion King, you might find this thread interesting.

P.S. I was lucky enough to see Spirited Away in Tokyo on the second day of its release in the summer of 2001. It was an incredible moviegoing experience. I took pictures of the lines at the theater - they wrapped around the block. After the movie, news crews were interviewing people who saw the film to ask their opinions of it. It wasn't just a movie, it was an event.

16. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

You really can't go wrong with Miyazaki; even his weakest Ghibli film is still heads above most animated movies.

My personal Miyazaki favorite is Castle In The Sky, but Kiki, Totoro, Nausicaa, Mononoke, and Spirited Away are all either classics or, at the very least, really really good (I still think Princess Mononoke is about 20 minutes too long.) Porco Rosso is slight but so wonderfully funny and charming that it's always worth watching.

People praise Grave of the Fireflies, and rightfully so; it's magnificent. But my favorite Ghibli film is Whisper of the Heart, directed by the late Yoshifumi Kondo. It's a touching and beautifully-rendered coming of age story. If you're a Miyazaki fan, definitely check this one out too.

17. Cary T

Cary T Screenwriter

The weakest of Miyazaki is better than most best. I prefer the weakest of the Miyazaki to any of Disney stuff. With that being said, here is my personal ranking of Miyazaki's films.

1. Kiki's Delivery Service
    2. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    3. Laputa
    4. Totoro
    5. Porco Rosso
    6. Mononoke Hime
    7. Spirited Away
    8. Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro

Miyazaki also directed a music video called On Your Mark which is excellent as well.

18. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm amazed everyone familiar with Miyazaki ranks "Spirited Away" near the bottom of their lists. Makes me look forward to the other titles even more. [​IMG]