Questions for Kit 281 Builders

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_C, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

Hello;

I am in the assembly stage of my Kit 281's and have a couple of questions for the people that have already built these babies.

1) How close together are your xover's? Does it really matter how close together they are?
    2) Where did you locate your xover's? Behind the woof/tweet? On the back panel or the side panel?
    3) How high did you locate the input cup from the base?
    4) How long was the center tube of the port not including the two flared pieces?

Thanx for your help!

I can't wait to hear these darn things.

Paul.

2. DaveNaumann

DaveNaumann Extra

Paul,

I mounted both my xovers in the chamber with the port. I mounted each xover on separate sides of the box, so that they are kind of facing each other. I also mounted one kind of high on the left side and low on the right side, if that makes any sense. That way they are not directly across from each other. Im not sure if that is necessary, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I mounted my terminal cup in the bottom chamber on the back side of each cabinet. I wanted it to be lower to the ground to make the speaker wires less noticeable. This setup worked out well with the given wire lengths coming off of the xovers. There was just enough wire to comfortably reach the terminal cup and enough to comfortably attach the drivers and tweeters. As for the port length, the instructions say to cut the center tube to 2.5" That's what I did. I hope this info helps ya out Paul. I know I love my 281's Im sure you will too.

Dave

3. Casey H

Casey H Stunt Coordinator

Hey Paul,
    I just mounted mine on the bottom behind the driver. I figured since they would never be upside down or sideways that it would be sufficient. I just used some silicone to adhere them to the surface placing bigger coils to the rear.
    Casey [​IMG]

4. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

Thanx Guys.
    I have to wait another week for final assembly as this weekend just got reserved. [​IMG]
    Paul.