Questions for HGS-15 owners and possibly other sub owners...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sonnie Parker, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

First I want to say that I have been in a spin zone for several weeks now trying to decide which sub to buy. Sunfire Sig, HGS-12, SPL1200, all in the running due to small size. Didn't believe I could get the HGS-15 to pass WAF with 19.5" height. It's very tiring and frustrating at times, while fun and exciting also. I finally decided to bite the bullet, spend the money, and after WAF was satisfied, able to order the HGS-15. It will arrive in a few days.

Thanks for all the advise and information that anyone provided on all subs in question!

My questions are:

What sub cable do you use? I need a 12' cable.

What carpet spikes do you use (if carpet floors)? I have 3 Lovan Focal Points but not sure if 3 will work. Should I use 4?

Again thanks very much!

SP

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Sonnie- Congrats on the purchase! [​IMG]
    (I had an HGS-10, then a 12, but then switched gears to a Vandersteen V2W.)
    For a sub cable, I just use the "cheap", *shielded* gold ended Radio Shack cables. (Stereo cable that I ripped in 1/2 to get the one channel.) You don't need any special "subwoofer" cable. Just marketing. And in fact, because of the frequencies involved, a cable for a sub is even less critical than for say pre/pro to amp interconnects.

3. Sonnie Parker

Thanks Kevin, I'm really excited for a 40 year old Alabama hillbilly.

I was just on another thread reading about cables. I noticed a lot of post about using the Radio Shack 75ohm cables, etc. I thought I would at least get one of the Monster Sub cables for about 30 bucks (Yahoo shopping price), but maybe I need to re-think this. If there is no benefit in going with the Monster then it wouldn't make sense to spend the extra. My dealer tried to sell me Tributaries for $50 but I couldn't make the decision at the time.

What I can't believe is that the HGS-15 doesn't come with carpet spikes. I haven't been able to find out if this is a performance design or what. Probably or what!

SP

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Sonnie- $30 for Monster might be OK. I just wouldn't spend any more than that.
    As far as spikes for a sub, and unfortunately I can't give you the reference, but it was in either Audio or Stereo Review a while back, but they said that for sound quality alone, that it actually doesn't matter. (In other words, they had done their own measurements and listening tests, and couldn't hear a difference.)
    But I would say this: 1st, it's probably pretty unlikely you're going to play your sub loud enough for it to move around. (Think about how heavy the HGS-15 is...)
    And 2: you could try with and without spikes, and just see for yourself what sounds better, and what you like better. 3 should be fine, and is actually probably preferred over 4, because with 4 it can be tough to get them to all sit right with no gaps (which could cause a buzz when the sub vibrates). Might want to give Velodyne a call and see what they say too.
    When I had the HGS-10, then 12, I didn't use spikes because they didn't come with them [​IMG] but now with the Vandersteen I do, again, simply because it came with them.
    But if the Vandy hadn't come with them, I wouldn't have had a lot of heartache not using them.

5. Sonnie Parker

Well I took your advice Kevin, I called Velodyne....I spoke with Kurt and very interestingly he gave me some good tips.

#1 He stated that he had personally measured -6db @ 20hz when he placed his HGS-15 on spikes. He stated they are all scientist and don't believe in anything that they can not prove is beneficial, although he would not argue with anyone that wants to use spikes....some audiophiles might want that -6db drop @ 20hz....I know I would not. He advised to place the HGS directly on the carpet and let her rip.

#2 He agrees with the owner of Velodyne concerning cables and that is quote: "Whatever is free." He stated the cheaper cables are absolutely fine. He has a garage full of cables (expensive cables included) that he doesn't use because he nor anyone else at Velodyne have ever been able to measure a difference in sound quality over the cheaper cables. Again though he stated he would not argue with anyone who wanted to spend whatever on cables. As he stated cables have a tendacy to create a filter thus changing the sound and that might be what an individual wants. He did say that he would use at least a good built cable and many of the entry level cables would be good but he would never overspend on cables. He suggest $30-$50 to get a quality built sub cable was not overspending in his opinion and he'd even want something that looked good to help compliment his sub. He stated he might even spend up to $100 on interconnects, but thought that there were many cable companies out there that were plum ridiculous with their marketing hype.

So, I thank you for the suggestion to call....I enjoyed speaking with Kurt. We talked for quite a while and he was very helpful.

He also said that in the next series of HGS models that they were considering adding a parametric EQ. Now that would be cool.

SP

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Sonnie- Hey, thanks for posting that info!
    Might have to revisit the spikes I have under mine right now...
    Quick story, I live within 20 miles of Velodyne, and I sent them a letter a few years ago basically as an appreciation for their company and the servo technology they bring to the party. I also expressed an interest in getting a tour, if they did those. Never heard anything in return... That unfortunately did play a part in me switching to Vandersteen. Will have to take another look next time I'm in the market for a sub. [​IMG]