Questions for Canadian LD player owners.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blaine Skerry, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

I know there must be a few of you on this board so maybe you can help me with these questions. I am looking for Canadian addresses but if anyone has anything to add, please chime in.

Has anyone recently (within the last two years)purchased or upgraded their LD player? If so, did you buy online or locally? I am looking for satisfied customer's responses.

Does anyone have an online site they could recommend for player information or purchases?

Don't be shy.

2. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

BLAINE:I can't think of why anybody would upgrade their LD Player when DVD has taken over the marketplace.I've even took my LD player down and packed away...the Laserdiscs are too hard to get.If you are looking for one I would suggest Glubes www.glubes.ns.ca They take LD Players in on trade and resell them so you might be able to strike a fairly good deal there.I plan on trading mine in eventually.Regards

3. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

Thanks for the response, Sheldon. I guess it comes down to spending money for another LD player or using that money to replace my LD's that have been released on DVD. One other question. Where in Nova Scotia is Glube's? I may be just two or three hour's drive away. The link you provided in your message just gives me a blank page. Thanks.

4. Sheldon

Glubes website may be down but in case they are located in Dartmouth.Their # is434-5511.Other places to check is laserhometheatre here in Bayer's Lake (Halifax)www.laserhometheatre.com or Peak Audio also in Halifax www.peakaudio.ns.ca Both will have links to manufacturers but send them both emails to see if they have any in-stock.The contact at LHT is Kevin and Chris is at Peak Audio.Neither will steer you wrong.Good Luck.

5. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

6. Sheldon

So tempermental...Anyway,here in Canada,specifically Nova Scotia,it is very difficult,to say the least,to find any Laser Discs.All,and I mean all,of the places where disc were available have got rid of them and went to DVD...straight business decision I would bet.I love LD but their is only the one place that I can buy them now and they will not bring in any new titles anymore.Too bad,so sad but I have to live with DVD now but I guess that I could purchase via internet in the US but with the exchange $1.00CDN=.40CENTS US plus all taxes and duties then it doesn't warrent buying anything new.

7. Mattias_ka

8. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Even here in Toronto it's hard to find laserdiscs. One store downtown, Monster Records occasionally has a few titles. I could kick myself for not picking up the Judy Garland Boxset for $50. They also had almost all the James Bond ld, someone must have upgraded to the dvds.

I also came across the "Raiders of The Lost Ark" and "BTTF" lds, but I've come across a few titles in the past with laser rot and most places won't give you a refund or an exchange on lds.

9. Mattias_ka