What's new

Questions for Canadian LD player owners. (1 Viewer)

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
I know there must be a few of you on this board so maybe you can help me with these questions. I am looking for Canadian addresses but if anyone has anything to add, please chime in.

Has anyone recently (within the last two years)purchased or upgraded their LD player? If so, did you buy online or locally? I am looking for satisfied customer's responses.

Does anyone have an online site they could recommend for player information or purchases?

Don't be shy.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
BLAINE:I can't think of why anybody would upgrade their LD Player when DVD has taken over the marketplace.I've even took my LD player down and packed away...the Laserdiscs are too hard to get.If you are looking for one I would suggest Glubes Link Removed They take LD Players in on trade and resell them so you might be able to strike a fairly good deal there.I plan on trading mine in eventually.Regards

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Thanks for the response, Sheldon. I guess it comes down to spending money for another LD player or using that money to replace my LD's that have been released on DVD. One other question. Where in Nova Scotia is Glube's? I may be just two or three hour's drive away. The link you provided in your message just gives me a blank page. Thanks.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Glubes website may be down but in case they are located in Dartmouth.Their # is434-5511.Other places to check is laserhometheatre here in Bayer's Lake (Halifax)Link Removed or Peak Audio also in Halifax www.peakaudio.ns.ca Both will have links to manufacturers but send them both emails to see if they have any in-stock.The contact at LHT is Kevin and Chris is at Peak Audio.Neither will steer you wrong.Good Luck.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I can't think of why anybody would upgrade their LD Player when DVD has taken over the marketplace.I've even took my LD player down and packed away...the Laserdiscs are too hard to get
Well, I know many people that have upgraded theirs laserdisc player, I have. I have gotten a new Pioneer HLD-X9 from japan and I will soon get another player as a back-up.

Of course the dvd has taken over the market place but so what? There is 1000's of movies on ld that have not come to dvd yet and many will not come at all. And there are sooo many ld's that looks as good as the dvd version (with a great player) and some looks better. And all the old movies the have much worse sound on dvd than the LD version?

And all the cheap prices right now?

Well, if anyone have some ld's and maybe want more movies they SHOULD upgrade.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
So tempermental...Anyway,here in Canada,specifically Nova Scotia,it is very difficult,to say the least,to find any Laser Discs.All,and I mean all,of the places where disc were available have got rid of them and went to DVD...straight business decision I would bet.I love LD but their is only the one place that I can buy them now and they will not bring in any new titles anymore.Too bad,so sad but I have to live with DVD now but I guess that I could purchase via internet in the US but with the exchange $1.00CDN=.40CENTS US plus all taxes and duties then it doesn't warrent buying anything new.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Even here in Toronto it's hard to find laserdiscs. One store downtown, Monster Records occasionally has a few titles. I could kick myself for not picking up the Judy Garland Boxset for $50. They also had almost all the James Bond ld, someone must have upgraded to the dvds.

I also came across the "Raiders of The Lost Ark" and "BTTF" lds, but I've come across a few titles in the past with laser rot and most places won't give you a refund or an exchange on lds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks