Questions for B&W 602 owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikey N, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Mikey N

Mikey N Auditioning

After weeks of deliberating and auditioning, I finally purchased my 602s3. They sound amazing so far, and I hope they keep getting better after being broken in. My questions for the group are:

1) Are there any detrimental effects from leaving the grill off (ie dust)? I have no pets or kids, so they wouldn't be a problem. I love the way they look without the grills.

2) What kind of stands do people own for these speakers? I like the B&W ones, but they are a little overpriced.

Thanks ya'll.

2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

1) I leave the covers off my 602s2's too. I think they sound a bit better that way. Besides, why else would they make the grills so easy to take off and have the B&W logo on the inside ?
    I guess you could take something like a feather duster to them every so often if you are concerned about dust.
    2) I got Sanus stands from Crutchfield

3. Murali Kalapala

I noticed that the kevlar cone's colour got dull on the speakers that the dealer had in his showroom for a while. So I take the grille off only when I am showing off the speakers.

I use small tables for stands because my chair is quite low the 12" tall tables put the tweeters around the same height as my ears. The rears are 602S3s as well on 24" tall tables.

4. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

I only take the grills off for serious listening or when I'm showing off my system. I'm also using 601's for the surrounds, and a CC6 in the center. The grills are supposed to be acoustically transparent according to B&W.
    I bought demo 24" Atacama stands with hollow 2" steel verticals and filled them with sand. The surrounds are on 38" Foundation stands to keep them a bit above my ear level for the effect.
    I've been listening to the DVD-A of Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly". This is defintely demo material. A must buy.

5. Herman S

Herman S Agent

I have the 602 S3s as well and I agree they sound and look awesome with the covers off. I keep them on because I do not want to risk damaging them. I use the B&W STAV 601 20" stands that cost me $90 a pair. They go well and I feel that it was a reasonable price.

6. Mikey N

Mikey N Auditioning

Thanks everyone.

I went out and bought some Sanus 18" stands...they look very nice with the speakers.

I also took everyone's advice and put the grills on, but will take them off to show to friends.

Thanks again.