Questions for A.I. DVD producer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel C, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

2. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Thanks for asking.

I would be interested in hearing why they decided to release the film in pan-and-scan.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

How did he approach the supplementary materials? For a film with revolutionary special effects, the number of extras concerning the story was a (welcome) surprise.

4. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

I'd like to know why the Stanley Kubrick and Ian Watson treament wasn't included as a supplement. I gather it runs about 90 pages so it's quite detailed. Fans, myself included, are curious to know what Spielberg changed from their original vision of the film. For that matter why not include Spielberg's shooting script? I now I'd like to see his first writing work since Close Encounters.

- Guy

PS

I recently met Jan Harlan at an event in LA and all he would say about the Kubrick-Watson version was that Gigolo Joe was a meaner, rougher character who would've gotten the film an NC-17

5. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

Why didn't they include any supplemental material on the DVD about the great, complex online A.I. game that had it's own story? It deserves attention.

6. JonathanSimpson

JonathanSimpson Stunt Coordinator

any thoughts as to why the did not include the tv advertising campaign on the dvd, i personally dont have the disc in hands as yet but all the reviews that are out online make no mention of them although the do mention that the could be easter eggs.

jonathan

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Did they consider getting any movie commentary from a film critic, similar to "Dark City" or "Citizen Kane"?

Why the relatively late release (Spring '02 rather than Fall '01)?

What was the most interesting aspect of production?

8. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I second the request made by Tim RH. The internet marketing campaign (using trailers, TV spots, and end credits that contained clues to the game) was a break through in online gaming. It also added nicely to the story that the movie gave us. Very revolutionary and very worthy of its own DVD release, if not included as an extra on the AI DVD.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Why didn't you seamless branch the disc so you could choose your ending instead of the cascading mishmash that was in the actual movie?

1 ending! 2 endings! 3! 3! Endings! Ah ah ah ah ah

11. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Why is there little to no focus on the original Kubrick draft and on the long preproduction/script stage of AI? (A comparison of the spielberg and kubrick scripts would have been nice)

Why are only two of theatrical trailers available when there were three theatrical and six tv spots?

Why is there nothing on the amazing ad campaign for this film? Both the complex internet game and the amazingly different and minimalist style trailers (for instance did kubrick write those first two trailers?)

A pair of essays by film scholars would have been an interesting feature to illustrate the love it or hate it AI seemed to evoke (for instance one attacking the film and spielberg for daring to be different or try something new when everyone knows that only established experimental directors (david lynch) are allowed to experiment, and another praising it for attempting to tell a story in a new way and the myriad of themes and concepts touched on, alluded to or that are running as an undercurrent to the film), was anything of this sort considered for the production of the dvd?

Was a feature on AI as a science fiction film and how it compares to others in this genre considered?

How much of Kubricks original notes drawings script treatments and collaboratiosn with spielberg was available and how much of it was included.

When you made this dvd was the intent to focus on it as a steven spielberg film that had kubrick influences or the film as a kubrick-spielberg film?

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Many of these questions are very good. The thing is, Laurent Bouzereau was the one who actually wrote, produced, and directed the majority of the supplements, so I'm not exactly sure which responsabilities fell to his and which to Mr. Rowen. Also, I have a feeling that questions about the Kubrick materials will lead to the same answer: those were private letters between Spielberg and Kubrick, ect. I suspect if Spielberg would've let them be used, they'd be there.

But I will be sure to ask about the marketing campaign.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I was kidding, and there was a thunderstorm outside [​IMG] It was the first thing that came to mind since all of my questions were asked [​IMG]