Questions / Concerns about Denon 1920 DVD Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Alexander-G, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Alexander-G

Alexander-G Agent

Hi -

I am getting a home theater system and am am looking for an upscaling DVD player to hook up to a Optoma H79 Projector. The Denon 1920 looks good, but I have a couple questions/concerns?

1. Power Glitch

I read on some website that some people were having a problem when they would hit stop and leave a DVD on resume. Apparently, sometimes the machine would freeze up and you wouldn't be able to turn it on or off. Does anyone if this is still a problem? Or, e.g, has new firmware fixed this?

2. 4:3 images.

If I am watching an old movie like Wizard of Oz whose native aspect ratio is 4:3, I want to see the movie as meant to be and not have it stretched. Apparently on some players (like Sony) you can't upscale the image if you want to avoid this - i.e. all 4:3 films have to go out in 480p.

The Denon seems to have a 4:3 squeeze function to fix this, but you need to manually set it each time. Does this work well?

Do any other DVD players (e.g. the Oppo) have a better or more automatic way of doing this?

Is there something the H79 can do to fix the problem. E.g. would the projector know when a film is 4:3 and be able to squeeze it back itself?

Many thanks in advance.

- Alex

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

I've got a 1920 that's a week old.

1. Power glitch.
    Keep in mind that this was reported only if the player was connected to the TV with HDMI. Mine is connected like that but I've not seen the issue. Doesn't 100% mean it isn't there but I've not reproduced it. I didn't consider it a "show-stopper" because it's easy to work around tho', just hit pause and only use stop when you mean to really stop.

2. Aspect ratio.
    This whole area gets complicated by the capabilities of both devices, how you set them up and whether you use the HDMI cable or component connection. My brain hurts trying to figure it all out sometimes [​IMG] All I can say is that in my case DVD's aren't forced to something other than 4:3 but they sure look great when upconverted.

3. Alexander-G

Alexander-G Agent

Thanks!

1. Power Glitch

I thought the player didn't upconvert using component, so we were planning to use HDMI. If the problem did arise and the only fix was teaching people the differene between pause and stop, then this really would be a show-stopper for me. I can handle it for myself, this home theater is going to be in a big family home that lots of people use and it becomes impossible to train everyone.

I do however understand that the problem goes away if you turn off component-progressive in the settings. Do you know whether that's off on your unit? Might explain why you haven't had the problem.

2. Aspect Ratio.

Again we would be using HDMI. That's great there's no problem for you and it sounds like you're not even using the squeeze function. I wonder if that's because your tv detects and does the squeeze, or because some DVDs themsleves are now coded to work properly (i.e. they'll send a widescreen image with letter box), or because the player works differently than I had read to be true.

In any case, that's interesting.

Thanks!

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

The situation with the power glitch is being debated on other fora with some people seeing it and others not. Some claim the component-progressive setting matters, some claim it doesn't. I'm convinced that at least some units will show the problem but I'm not convinced that people have actually figured out when and why. Lots of variable in there. As for me, I've tried it and I don't see it with component-progressive scan set or not. So is mine immune from the problem? All I feel safe in saying is that I've not seen it yet.

Seems to me you may be mixing issues with the conversions. You're right, the player won't upconvert over component out, but the TV can/will do so if it has the capability. If both devices can do so I have yet to figure out just how things interact. In my case, I AFAIK I don't have a 4:3 DVD to experiment with so I can't say from experience what will happen.

Take the DVD to the retail outlet and try in various players -- might be the only way to find out.