questions concerning progressive scan and 3:2 pulldown?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul J Anderson, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Paul J Anderson

hello,

i was hoping someone could help expalin to me what exactly does "progressive scan" mean and if i was to hook up one of these DVD players to my current tv (Sony WEGA KV36FV26) would i see much of an improvement in video quality? i currently am using my S-Video output from my Sony SAVA-D900 to watch my DVDs (it has no component output) and since that is the case i have my PS2 currently hooked up to my component inputs.

also could someone please help and explain what "3:2 conversion pulldown" means. i see alot of newer tv sets advertising this special function and don't trust anyone at the local Best Buy to help explain it correctly (without having my money on his mind)

thanks for any help you all can provide!

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Try here:

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...2_pulldown.htm

It covers both progressive scan and 3-2 pulldown. Another detailed articled is here (skip the introduction and go directly to "The Nature of Interlaced TV, Film-to-Video Conversion, and Other Interesting Gambits"):

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

Now the bad news: I'm pretty sure your TV can't accept a progressive scan signal. Almost all TVs that are capable of the higher scanning frequencies required for progressive scan are high-definition (or HD-ready). I don't believe yours is.

M.

3. Paul J Anderson

thanks Michael! wow is that alot of info to sift through. the DVDFile article was quite helpful and i'm just getting into the other one. i'll be semi-educated in no time. thanks again.