Questions Before Buying

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brian*K, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Brian*K

Brian*K Auditioning

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking to buy a new DLP TV, and I was wondering if I could get a couple recommendations. I'm looking to buy something in the mid 50" range. I'm not too fond of LCD TV's, and as far as Plasma's concerned, it's out of my price range and I seem to be the only one who doesn't really like the way plasma looks. I don't know...anyway...

The two qualities I'm looking for in a DLP TV is sharpness, and brightness (in that order). I've been out of the home theater market for some time now, so I'm not too familiar with what's out there. I went to Tweeter and sales rep said that Samsung was the best DLP manufacturer out there. He didn't give me any solid reasons, but is there any truth into what he said?

Thanks for any advice!

2. John S

John S Producer

Samsung is decent enough alright....

Interesting the preferences in display technologies. I myself, would almost always take LCD projection over DLP projection these days.

Come back and let us know what you buy and how you like it.

3. Brian*K

Brian*K Auditioning

Yeah, I am a bit weird with my display preferences. I just have never sat in front of a plasma and said "WOW!!!!" Or...if I did, I saw a DLP right after and said "OMG! WOW!!"

As for LCD, the screendoor affect REALLY bothers me. Even at a far distance, I keep seeing the lines, and I try really hard to make myself not see it, but it just bugs the crap out of me. Haven't seen an LCD set that didn't. My only quibble about DLP is the fact that it's not so nice at extreme angles like plasma is.

Sometime this week, I plan on going back to Tweeter and checking out all 3 technologies again (even though I probably won't buy plasma because of the price...). I might check out an LCOS while I'm there too, but I'm not too sure I see the advantages that are worth the price.

If anyone can also recommend any DVD's that they think bring out the best in a certain kind of set, please tell me. I want to see the best that these sets have to offer. Oh, and Front projection isn't an option either, there's no place in my house that I can block the light out of, and I'm not ready to spend money on making that happen either.

4. John S

John S Producer

But even in RP, the Sony for example just doesn't exhibit any SDE at all. Even the Panasonic only has a little and only up close.

LCD Direct views sure seem to have it though......

Panasonic Plasma always gives me that wow, I still think it is closest to the effect of real film.

I'm not attempting to talk you out of DLP, nothing wrong or weird at all with preferring that particular technology, even though it is not for me personally.

5. Brian*K

Brian*K Auditioning

Is there a specific model Sony or Panny LCD that you can recommend? I'm not TOTALLY firm on DLP or anything, it's just what I've noticed...I haven't been seriously into the market until just now, all I know is that SDE bugs me, but if you say these models are good at hiding it, I'd be interested in checking them out.

6. John S

John S Producer

Hmm The Sony is for you.. Any of the latest gen Sony LCD RP's, I mean you can get less than a foot away and still not detect SDE on them.

The Panasonics are bargain sale priced these days but do exhibit some SDE at about 3' to 2' distance. Others have siad Hitatchi is real great too, but I have yet to see one in person.

I setup a coworkers 60" I think was the size Panasonic that he got at CC for just over $2k, and I was extremely impressed after just basic calibration in his home living room setup.