What's new

questions and recommendations (1 Viewer)

Simon-d

Grip
Hello

Apart from the convenience of controlling audio and video thru a receiver is there any other advantage to running them both in then out? I currently have my DVD, Satellite and VCR connexted to my Toshiba 57H83, SVIDEO Satellite, Component DVD and RCA VCR connections.

I'm on a bit of a budget and visiting the good ol US of A soon and wanted to get your opinion on
Sony - 600W 6.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver - STRDE695 $299.99

Being a newbie I'm assuming that a 6.1 receiver does 5.1 :)

thanks for your help

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the htf simon. You may not have enough video inputs on your tv, so it is a good idea to run them through the AVR. As for the sony, I had the 595 and was not a big fan. I was fooled by the big power ratings but the sound was not clean, in my opinion. Try different brands out and buy what you like. Yes, all 6.1 and 7.1 receivers will output 5.1 aswell.

Wayne Clark

Agent
Hello Simon & welcome to the forum,

I'll give your questions a shot and if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will step in and straighten us both out.

With the your setup as you describe it, the advantage I can think of with hooking all your equipment through a receiver is the ability to record. Do you ever records with your VCR off of your satellite dish? Through the receiver would make it much easier.

The downside to this is that all of your outputs need to be the same. S-Video or composite, I suggest S-Video but that may require the upgrade of your VCR or an adapter to convert its' output from composite to S-Video.

It would also cost you some resolution off of the DVD. I solve this problem by running S-Video through the receiver and Component directly to the TV. For some stuff, we watch through the receiver but if we want it to look the best possible, I change the video input on the TV.

I won't comment on the Sony line of receivers (I don't own one so I don't hold an opinion). But to your second question. Yes, a 6.1 receiver will do 5.1 output.

Best of Luck, Wayne.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I won't comment on the Sony line of receivers "

I will:) Look at a product from the DB line WAY before you look at the DE line. Even take a look the ES line if you can find 1 in your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks