Questions about X1 screen for FP newbie.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MikeRP, Jan 22, 2004.

1. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Hi All:

I'm finally going to build my x1 screen soon I'll buy the X1. I'm new to screen placement and PJ placement.

I'm really torn on the calculator.

I'm thinking 54" by 80" screen. But that limits my distance for the projector from the screen and I'm thinking I want it about 14 feet back from the wall. This would be 2 feet behind the main listening area. So, I started looking at 56 by 80. That seems to be the best compromise between 4:3 and 16:9. Is that the case?

Question: Do you guys worry about 4:3 material?

How do you decide how far the screen is from the top of the wall when you mount the screen?

I orginally was going to place the PJ 12 feet back but I read where the noise is sometimes bothersome so I'm thinking I'll move it 2 feet behind the listening area. Is the loud sound from the PJ a real concern or could I mount it directly overhead?

Thanks for any input.

Mike

2. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

mike I'm going to get a pull down custom from projection people. it is going to be 69"x92" to fit both formats. my rep is stacy hamm. i'm getting it for 199 plus 20 shipping.
    It is a Draper / luma custom pull down. It will have the Hi contrast grey. i was going to build mine but my other half wanted it to be a pull down. use my name maybe she will hook it up. my x1 will sit 14ft from the screen, and as for noise, come on. thats a little picky. if you have a sound system it would not matter.[​IMG]

crack it till your ears bleed[​IMG]

3. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Hi!

Thanks for the reply........That's a good price for a pull down! WOW.......

Well, right now I'm committed on the screen. So, I stick with it but if I don't like it ...... welll I'll look you up.

That is a very big screen you are doing. Let me know how it works out. I'd be interested.

Mike

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I am going to be getting my hands on an X1 next week. My decision was to throw the image on the wall to get EXACT sizing, etc. I figure it'll be a work in progress.

And as far as a pull down screen, any untensioned pull-down will eventually develop waves/wrinkling from being wound up. Tensioned screens are expensive. I'll probably build a screen myself as well when I have the sizing established.

I reccommend AVSforum's screens forum - there's more information there than is even absorbable.