What's new

Questions about watching DVD on a Monitor (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
To be specific, I'm referring to my computer monitor. For the first time today I put a DVD onto my hard drive and checked out a movie on my computer screen. The image is smaller than my 36" Sony TV, obviously, but man oh man, I've never seen video quality like that before! It's what I've always wanted in a video movie, picture-wise. I can already see myself watching all my films in my computer room from now on instead of on the living room sofa!

In case you couldn't tell by now, I'm very much in the dark when it comes to computers and tech talk, but can anyone tell me if there's any danger to my computer system by watching films on it, instead of my DVD player/TV set? I've used the Windows media play, and it looks excellent. Are there similar TV-sized Monitors that would produce the same quality image, where I would not need to use my hard drive, and instead can watch through my DVD player, just as I would a TV set?

This is like having a plasma set on your computer monitor, only it's a foot wide instead of three feet. Thanks.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Joe,
First, there's no danger to your computer, it's just displaying inherent capabilities. As far as TV sized monitors go, it's starting to happen. LCD flat screen monitors are over 20" now, still pricey however over $1000 and more...Apple has a new big monitor that costs big bucks...many folks think high end smallish HDTVs display computer quality images. Basically you're looking for the holy grail...the equivalent of a 40" computer monitor...it's probably 5 years away.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Joe: There's no difference between a computer monitor and a regular TV, except that its resolution capabilities are far greater. You have accidentally discovered what many videophiles have been using for a while now, is an HTPC. You can use a computer as a video processor to scale up your video to very high resolutions to display a display capable of displaying those resolutions. I do it with a CRT front-projector, I can scale way up if I want, and it looks like it does on your regular monitor, just blown up to 8 feet. You can connect your computer to HDTVs, projectors, etc for the best bargain in video processing, and if your display is really good, you can get some amazing PQ by scaling up to HD resolutions.

Users who are viewing this thread