Questions about Wall Mounting Speakers (Energy Encore system)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jason_L, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Jason_L

Jason_L Auditioning

Hello,

My living room is approx 12.5' by 13.5'. I have the Energy Encore speaker system (h++p://absoluteaudiovideo.com/enensys1.html for size and weight specs). Since I don't really have room for speaker stands (or money to buy them), I was considering mounting the 4 satellites to the walls of my apartment.

Couple questions..

1. How high should I mount them? Ear level for all 4, or should the rears be higher?

2. Should I place the rear satellites on the rear wall or on the side walls? If on the side walls, how far back should they be?

3. Do you place the surrounds different depending on if you have 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1? (I currently only have the 5 speakers plus sub, but my Denon 3803 receiver is capable of 7.1 and might buy 2 more Encore2's for rear-center at some point in the future)

4. Do speakers in general sound any different if they are screwed into a wall instead of on stands?

5. Anybody here ever mounted the Encore2's before have any stories to share? Or recommended screws to use?

6. Will setting up the system in so small of a room have any negative effects that I wouldn't get from a larger room?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

2. Jason_L

Jason_L Auditioning

Bump.... any suggestions?

3. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Hi Jason,

I can answer some of your questions. Since the Encore satellites are monopole, I would definitely place the rears 3-4 feet higher than seated ear level. I would place them to the sides and slightly behind the listening position. With 6.1 or 7.1 I would not change the location of the surrounds. Speakers on stands can and do sound different than on walls, but your Encores are designed for wall mounting, so I would put them there and not worry about it. I tested the Encores, and really liked them, but went with Cambridge Soundworks instead. I wall mount them with simple screws and drywall anchors that I bought from Home Depot (I think they are rated at 50 lbs for my 10 lb sats). I bought the anchors that screw in, which I think will be best for you, since you are in an apartment, and you can remove them with minimal damage and some caulk and some touchup paint. I am not sure how to answer you last question, but your Encores were meant for medium to small rooms, so you should be fine.
    Don't forget to get an SPL meter and a test disc. This was the single best setup tweek that made the most difference to me.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Greg

4. Jason_L

Jason_L Auditioning

Thanks Greg.... I bought some toggle bolts from home depot but I think I will return them for the drywall anchors you mention (that I saw next to the bolts I bought but for some reason thought they wouldn't support my 7lb speakers). I have an avia test disc I bought used for like $12 but I'm not sure what an SPL meter is... how much would that set me back?

I think I'm going to end up buying stands for my fronts because if I mount my fronts they will be further away from the listener than the center channel (which is sitting on top of my tv), which I heard is a no-no.

Anyone know where I can get a pair of Encore stands used?

5. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I have my fronts on the walls which puts them behind the center channel. I tossed around the idea of stand for the same reason, but at some point, you have to bend some of the rules. My receiver has a delay for the mains to compensate for this, and I am happy with the setup. You can get an SPL meter from Radio Shack for I think $30-40. Get the analog version. This will help you get all of the channels to the same level rather than doing it by ear which is impossible. Go to the Beginners FAQ section, and there is great info on which one and how to use it. I thought I could do it by ear, but when I used the SPL meter, I found out that I was way off.

Greg

6. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Due to an adventurous little 3-year-old girl who seemed to love knocking my KEF Q15s off their stands, I recently wall-mounted them and am actually very happy with the result -- the sound quality is uncompromised (to my ears, at least) and they're in a much safer location now that actually looks pretty slick. The mounts I used sort of "suspend" the speaker in space about 6" off the wall so it looks very high tech, and the KEFs are front-ported so no worries about excessive bass reinforcement or boom.

My rears are about 6' high while I mounted the fronts so that the tweeters would be roughly at ear level. As GregBe indicated, you should be able to adjust your delay and volume controls to compensate -- I'm sure an excellent model such as the 3803 gives you a lot of control in this regard.