Questions about using the correct wire?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jonathan T, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

The manual for the Kit81M speakers says I need this: 14GA/2C 14GA twin conductor cable for use as internal wiring. Is this 14 gauge 2 conductor wire? I just want to check. If it isn't, can I just use 22 gauge wire? I'm buying the parts myself because the 81M kit is the nearfield kit and was discontinued. The tech guys just gave me a schematic and the parts list.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes. Not sure why it specs "two coductor," though. Typically individual strands of single conductor wire is used. However, by all means, don’t use the 22ga. stuff.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Ok, can you recomend some good 14 gauge wire?
    Also, would you have a recomendation for some good solder?

4. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

I personaly use 12 gauge wire for internals and xover myself. Any 12awg from Homedepot or Ratshack would do. Since you only need a short length why not go for 12awg.

I use the solder from Ratshack. The one that says silver core for fine electronics. I'm no pro, but heard good things about silver core solders. Make sense, cuz silver's suppose to be the best conductor there is. Goodluck.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I use generic 16 gauge wire for wiring up crossover components, and don't lose sleep over it.

6. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

I decided that I'm just gonna use the regular radio shack solder seeing that this is my first audio project and the speaker placement is gonna make a much greater impact on sound than solder choice.

Also, the 12-16 gauge wire is used to join the crossover to any other parts of the speaker such as drivers or binding posts correct? I can just use pre tinned 20 to 22 gauge wire on the board, for point to point connections, if the actual component leads are too short, right?

7. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Not everyone would agree, but I think 12 or 14 is overkill for such short runs and its more difficult to get a good hot solder joint to such bulky stranded wire. 18 guage lamp cord is the right tool for this job.

8. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Ok, thank you very much.