Questions about upgrading DirecTV equipment for locals

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Holyoke, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Well, the time has finally arrived, DirecTV will start offering my local channels (Madison, WI market) in April, I believe. We still have an older dish, just a single LNB or whatever it's called, and the receiver is about 3 years old.

So to get the locals, I guess I'll need a multisatellite? I thought I read that this can be included in a free installation? I thought I also read that I could just ask to have the receivers upgraded too?

I also plan on getting a DirecTivo with or after the multisatellite is in. (We plan on putting a receiver on another TV.)

I was wondering if DirecTV gave deals on any of this stuff. We've been customers for over 10 years now, so I was curious if using this as leverage in negotiating a deal would work.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Tim

2. ChrisTheg

ChrisTheg Agent

Actually, when your already a customer you get less of a deal then if you were just starting out new. If you're married or have someone else that the DTV account could be under I would suggest you cancel your account and start over again so you can get whatever they are offering at this time. I work for The Tweeter Home Entertainment Group out of New England so I dont know what they are offering from where you are, but I would assume that there should be something good available. Do you have a High Deffinition tv? If you do then I would go with HD Direct TV. There are a million different combinations so I would look into all yoru options before making a decision. Good luck!

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Right now, DirecTV has an HD deal for long-time customers. For $99 you get an HD receiver and a mulit-sat dish with installation. To qualify you have to have been a customer for at least 2 years, have no late payments and a minimum bill of $40/month. You also have to commit to a year of the HD programming package.

D* is also running a deal for the D-Tivo. For $99 you get the receiver, installation and any extra equipment that is needed (like a multi-switch).

If you wait until the locals are on the satellite, D* will usually upgrade the dish for under $50.

-Robert

4. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I don't have an HDTV, unfortunately. I've kind of been looking into them, but they're still a little too pricey for my budget. On a side note, with Intel announcing a few weeks ago that they're getting into the market, will that eventually help prices to dramatically decrease? Thanks.

5. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I'm thinking about putting the account under somebody else's name and getting all new equipment. Is there a fee for cancelling an account? I thought at one time older customers got an extra dollar or so off of total choice - is this still the case? Has anyone else done this, if so, how'd it go? Thanks a lot.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    My account is in my wife's name because I thought it would be a good idea to try Dish. No charge to cancel but some people are locked into their monthly charges. With the upcoming DirecTV increases, it might be worth it to sign-up ASAP.

-Robert

7. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

What are the prices increasing to? When? Thanks Robert.

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
  9. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

OK, thanks. When cancelling and signing back up - is it ok if the phone number is the same as before? Also, do you recommend going through DTV or someplace like Best Buy? (will probably add a DirecTivo also) Thanks a lot.

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I'd use a different number like a cell phone. As for a retailer, I'd use Value Electronics (a sponser of the Tivo Community). They have some really good deals.

-Robert

11. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks again Robert. You oughta work for DTV! Have you used Value Electronics before? Also, I was curious about the DirecTivos - how quickly can you flip through channels, like when channel surfing? As fast as normal DTV receivers? Thanks a lot.

12. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Another thing - the DTV agreement says that all receivers must be activated w/the initial activation - so, we just have DTV on 1 TV now, will probably add another sometime, but not right away. Would we be better off just getting the DirecTivo new, and keeping our old receiver for future activation? Thanks.

13. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I just try to push the DirecTivo on each and every satellite posting. I will answer a Dish question every now and then.

-Robert

14. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks (again) Robert. You say the guide is really slow - do you mean the channels take time?

15. Mark Olton

Mark Olton Auditioning

It just takes a bit longer to bring up the guide and change channels. I didn't find the difference to be too bad compared to my old receiver, just a tad slower. On the other hand, I found the guide to be a significant improvement in useability, especially when using the Tivo-style guide as opposed to the DirecTV style.

It's all moot anyways as I find myself doing a lot less channel surfing now. I don't know how I ever lived without Season Passes. [​IMG]

16. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Well, I don't need to cancel now. I called up DTV and stroked them, saying we've been customers for 10 years and have never had any problems, but it is just more cost-effective to go with Dish Network and get the free DVR and they already have the locals and so on. They ended up giving me a free DirecTivo and 2 for 1 HBO/Cinemax (which I probably could have gotten anytime by just calling and asking?).

Now onto my next dilemma - they said the upgrade to the multi-satellite was usually free. Robert, you said earlier that they usually upgrade it for under $50. While free is definitely under $50, I'm wondering who's right?

With the multi-satellite, how many total connections can I have? Right now we have a normal dish with 2 cables running in to the basement, and then 1 running all the way to the 2nd floor to a bedroom, which has never been hooked up and activated. At the most, we will end up wanting 3 cables (2 for the Tivo and the 1 for the 2nd floor bedroom, which we may activate soon). So, I'm assuming the upgraded dish would have this many?

In the mean time, would the DirecTivo be ok just having 1 cable hooked up to it? Long story short, the dish is mounted on a post 50' from the house, and the cables are buried, and it's about 2 degrees right now, so the ground isn't going to be dug up anytime soon.

Anything else I should know or try to get out of them? I had to check with the boss to see if this was going to be ok, so I'm calling them back soon. Thanks for the help.

17. John Stream

John Stream Extra

Threaten to go to Cable and see what they offer. I'm not kidding. You'll be surprised to see what they will be willing to do for you.

18. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I think they know I'm not going cable, I live 10 miles from town. I am going to try and get the total choice locked in at it's current price though.

19. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

OK, I ended up with HBO and Showtime for $2 a month ($2!?!? I guess, the CSR was a moron, I'm sure I'll be calling back to straighten things out later), a free DirecTivo, the multi-satellite required for my locals in April for free, and the Total Choice price of $33.99 locked in for a year.

Unfortunately, a technician has to come out to do the install. I hate having people screw with my house and setup, how much can I avoid them doing? I just want to have as much done as possible before they show up. This is supposedly free as well, so we'll see when the time comes (Feb. 11).

Robert and others, does this seem realistic to you, or should I get ready to call and get my bill corrected when the time comes? I mean, the CSR told me it was free, and it's recorded and all, so they're liable, right?

One more thing - is it ok for the coax to be exposed above ground for the winter?

Thanks a lot for the help.

20. Peter_D

Peter_D Agent

All i know is i have direct Tv with the locals and the HD package. Looked tonight and saw that they added cbs-hd so now i can get the superbowl in HD