Questions about throw distance for projectors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Richard McNally, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Richard McNally

Richard McNally Auditioning

I want to install a HT w/ DLP projector in a very small room. The room dimensions are 11x11. Three questions:

First question: is it pointless trying to make this room a HT if I am only able to get a throw distance of, say, 9 1/2 feet? My guess is that would make my diagonal screen size around only 50" for 4:3.

Second question: This room has a large closet that is a little off center. Do you think I could set the projector up deep in to the closet, adding an extra 4 or 5 feet of throw distance? My concern with this, is that the sides of the closet doorway get in the way of the projection. How wide is the image after only 5 feet?

And finally, like I said. The closet door is not dead center across from the screen. What budget projectors (sub-$1500) could correct an off center projection?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Richard, you can get a much bigger screen than 50" with a short throw projector. But I don't know of any DLP projectors that are short throw. One LCD in your price range would be the Epson Home 10+. You can do a search at Projectorcentral.com, and read the reviews. It's a great site.

3. Richard McNally

To be honest, DLP is more important to me than overall size. But I would like to get it at least around 60 inches, and to do this I think I will need to have it projecting from inside the closet, creating an extra 4-5 feet of throw space. Does this sound like a good idea? Also, what models have that angle correction (I forget what they call it)? The closet doorway is slightly off to the left of center.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

There are plenty of short throw DLP units. My BenQ 8700+ is short throw. 102" on a 16:9 screen from 12 feet away ...

Marantz has short throw units ...

Regards

5. Richard McNally

I'd love the 8700 but my budget cannot afford spending $3,500 on a projector. Was hoping to stay under $1,500