Questions about the Paradigm Studio 100's being non shielded...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Mar 29, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

My first question is why would they make this speaker without the video shielding option?

My second question is has anybody had any problems with the 100's being non shielded?

And finally how far do these speakers have to be from the tv to not cause a distorted image?

Thanks!

james

2. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

The real question is why *would* they shield this speaker. Mains shouldn't be close enough to a TV (assuming your viewing distance is any further than 7 feet) to cause distortion. The "clear zone" is usually between 1 and 2 feet.
    Here is an interesting thread on this topic:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=58654

3. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of the Stuio 100's and they do not cause any problems. The distance you want to keep them away from your TV also varies on the type of TV you have. I have a RPTV so I can get them real close if I want...the electronics are in the middle of the TV so the box of the TV keeps them away far enough, but a Tube TV, Dave is correct, 1 to 2 feet should be ok. But assuming you have a Tube TV, for imaging sakes you would want to keep them at least 6-7 feet apart, so that alone should keep them away from a centered TV.

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

James,

Thanks for starting this thread. I too asked the same question to my Paradigm dealer today and he pretty much gave me the same info as Dave and Brian. Dave, thanks for that additional thread.

Unfortunately, my room does not allow proper placement or a centered type enviornment. It is frustrating, but I have to deal with the elements as is.

I have one speaker that is close to the XBR and that is my dilemena at the moment. All speakers are shielded at the moment. I do wish Paradigm would offer this option, but alas, they do not after reading this thread and speaking with my Paradigm dealer.

Thanks,

Charles

5. FrankB

FrankB Agent

I have a 34" direct view set, and I sit only 6' away from it. Because of space limitations my speakers are about 1.5' from the TV on either side, but this gives pretty good sound separation - being only 7' from the speakers. I thought this was borderline too close to the TV to have non-sheilded speakers so I got the Shielded Stuidio 60s. Check out the Studio 60s, I'm running mine full range, and they don't quit until below 30Hz. Most music doesn't go below that, and most DVDs have material below 30Hz on the LFE channel, so this setup is working great for me.

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Frank.. Please forgive my ignorance here.

My dealer told me today that NONE, NADA of the Reference/Studio line could be ordered with magnashield. Apparently you have the 60's in the shielded version.

I wish I could get some factual info from my local dealer.

Also, do you use a sub with the 60's?? Sounds like you do not..

Thanks are always in advance.

Charles