Questions About The Fugitive Most Wanted Edition DVD Set

Professor Echo

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
As has been mentioned, the only way to get the original series as aired, with absolutely no changes at all, is to get the second set with the corrected discs. The recalled set has music substitutions for most scenes that involve jukebox, radio or other incidental music, plus I believe at least two episodes have scenes without any background music at all where there originally was. I hadn't heard about the lip synching issues. It was so easy to exchange the recalled set for the new release and then easy to get the corrected discs for the second release, I can't imagine anyone settling for a compromised version when they don't have to. It's my favorite TV series of all time, so I'm happy I have it in its COMPLETELY UNEDITED form.

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I'm aware of the fact the recalled set was missing music in a couple instances but most jukebox/radio things I was paying attention to was changed back to the original, most notably in the Barbara Rush two-parter (I'm too lazy to get the title completely right, I know it's Landscape etc.). I imagine they missed it in a couple spots but for me still not a dealbreaker to get me to double-dip on that.

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There were numerous upgrades to the 2012 set, including music and audio fixes in several episodes (e.g. BLOODLINE) and some video upgrade (e.g. CRY UNCLE). I'm biased, but I think the 2012 set was worth the the double dip.

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I'm sure it was for some. I think because I had a year's headstart on most everyone else because I was one of the lucky few as it were, I ended up going through all the episodes before the reissue came out so there was probably a little more burnout on my part from wanting to upgrade that series specifically, especially after coming so far from what we started with with the horror show that was the initial Season 2 Volume 1.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Well I received my Fugitive set today. Could anyone here tell me if I got the corrrected set? Here is what my set has:

1. There was NO YELLOW BARCODE

2. On the back of the main big box that holds all the Seasons it is copyright 2012

3. On the back of each Season release, it is copyright 2011.

4. THE actual discs have Season 1 Disc 1 Volume 1, etc, Volume 2 disc etc for each season

5. Each disc has 2012 copyright.

6. On shrinkwrap it has sticker that reads The fugitive etc etc transfers from original film negatives and original Pete Rugolo score

Can someone please tell me if I got the correct set? Also, will I need replacement discs for some episodes that were mentioned earlier in this thread? How do I get the replacement discs?

I appreciate all help that has been given to me and I kindly ask that someone please answer my questions now that I have set so I will know if I got the right one!

THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

ROBERT

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Well thanks to forum member Jeff W. I was able to call about the replacement discs. The company handling this for Paramount is called Vision. The lady on the phone was very nice. She asked me to read the barcode. She said I had the new set. She then as me to read the number on the actual disc from a Season 2 set. She then got my adress and said they would send me 5 replacement dics. She said they send them out once a month and they had not sent this month's out yet so she added my name to the list to be sent out this month. Forum members may want to call if they would like to receive their replacement discs. Jack you may want to call and see if they would send you a replacement set and the 5 replacement discs if you want the best set. All they can say is Yes or No! LOL Thanks again to Jeff W. woho gave me the phone number in an email response to a question I asked in March 2013! I waited this long to get the set! Thanks to all members for their help! I plan on reporting back on if I am successful in getting the 5 replacement discs! The phone number is 877-335-8936 Vision

GOD BLESS!

ROBERT

!

Al.Anderson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
That was timely, I just pulled this out of the back of the shelf and realized I may have never updated (based on this thread, I didn't). I'll give them a call and see what happens - thanks MCCLOUD.

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Appreciate the suggestion but I think at this stage I'll just be happy with what I've got since the few impacted episodes fall under the "what I don't know can't hurt me" category not being familiar with what their corrected versions should be like. Unlike the "Batman" situation where I know exactly what's missing from years of watching and need to see it done right.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
That was timely, I just pulled this out of the back of the shelf and realized I may have never updated (based on this thread, I didn't). I'll give them a call and see what happens - thanks MCCLOUD.
You are welcome Al!!!

ROBERT

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I received my 5 replacement discs on Saturday! It took about a month to get them. I am glad to have the set and the replacement discs! I would like to thank all forum members for all their help and Posts! A special thanks again to Jeff W.. who emailed me in March 2013 the company name and phone number to get the replacement discs! To recap again, the company handling this for CBS Paramount is called Vision. The phone number is 877-335-8936. They send out replacement discs once a month. Thanks again everyone!

GOD BLESS!

ROBERT

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Congratulations! Glad they're still coming through on those things.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
I wouldn't even know if the music had been changed so that would not bother me but lipsynch is very noticeable so I had to have those changed. But as you get all 5 I replaced them all.

Seems odd that the earlier releases had all the changed music that the studio was uncertain whether they were allowed to use it and then we end up with a soundtrack cd in the boxset .

Contemporary songs have always been an issue with home video but apart from the scores for certain AIP movies which were replaced I've never come across any licencing problems for music that was originally recorded purely as incidental music for a tv show.

And it seems there never was a problem anyway thank goodness

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf
Fantastic news, if indeed this upcoming re-release will be 100% correct disks.

I've held off buying the set all this time because of all the reported problems, waiting (hoping) that eventually a fully corrected set would finally be issued. Hopefully that's happening soon now.

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What frustrates me about The Most Wanted Edition and now probably this new release is that, despite both being complete series sets, we still have to suffer through those inane split season menus, where every disc says "season one, volume one." or something like that. I understand it being cost prohibitive to go back and change all the menus; it's just a shame we will probably always have to live with the vestiges of those early split season sets.

Reactions: HardPanner

Craig Beam

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Carabimero said:
What frustrates me about The Most Wanted Edition and now probably this new release is that, despite both being complete series sets, we still have to suffer through those inane split season menus, where every disc says "season one, volume one." or something like that. I understand it being cost prohibitive to go back and change all the menus; it's just a shame we will probably always have to live with the vestiges of those early split season sets.
I'm considering reauthoring the entire series onto blu-ray discs and doing my own menus. WAY less shelf space than the Most Wanted set!

Tom Gordon

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Gordon
The replacement discs are:
Season One, Volume Two, Disc 2 (Bloodline, Rat in a Corner, Angels Travel on Lonely Roads Parts 1 & 2)
Season One, Volume Two, Disc 3 (Flight From the Final Demon, Taps For a Dead War, Somebody to Remember, Never Stop Running)
Season Two, Volume One, Disc 4 (The Iron Maiden, Devil's Carnival, Ballad for a Ghost)
Season Three, Volume One, Disc 2 (Conspiracy of Silence, Three Cheers For Little Boy Blue, All The Scared Rabbits, An Apple A Day)
Season Three, Volume One, Disc 3 (Landscape With Running Figures Parts 1 & 2, Set Fire To A Straw Man, Stranger In The Mirror)

As mentioned, the replacment discs have a silhouette of Kimble on the face of the disc; the originals contain only text.

Left: original disc
Right: replacement
Can anybody elaborate on the exact music issues with each problem episode? Last year I ordered The Most Wanted Edition and then called the number for the replacement disks, which were sent to me. It was a piece of cake to verify that the lip sync and other video-related issues were resolved, but there were at least 2 or 3 music-related bugs and I have never found a complete description. I was looking for something like this:
At 7 minutes into The Iron Maiden, the bad discs have music missing and at the same point in the episode describe the music or song tha was fixed. At least I can then compare the old/new discs focusing on just the critical juncture. Thanks in advance.

Harry-N

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Can anybody elaborate on the exact music issues with each problem episode? Last year I ordered The Most Wanted Edition and then called the number for the replacement disks, which were sent to me. It was a piece of cake to verify that the lip sync and other video-related issues were resolved, but there were at least 2 or 3 music-related bugs and I have never found a complete description. I was looking for something like this:
At 7 minutes into The Iron Maiden, the bad discs have music missing and at the same point in the episode describe the music or song tha was fixed. At least I can then compare the old/new discs focusing on just the critical juncture. Thanks in advance.
Most of the errors on the MOST WANTED SET were technical. Audio sync problems on Bloodline and Taps For A Dead War, and skipping and freezing issues on 3 Cheers For Little Boy Blue, plus you couldn't fast-forward or rewind without errors. The same no FF or REW on Landscape.

That left "The Iron Maiden" with its accidental replaced music cues left in. If it happens more than once, I can't say, but it DOES occur at about 16:30 through about 18:00 - the end of Act One.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietkeuiux